Bulgaria nominates EU Commissioner Georgieva to run for U.N. Chief
The Bulgarian government on Wednesday nominated European Commissioner Kristalina Georgieva to stand for the United Nations Secretary-General post after another candidate, Irina Bokova, dropped in the ranking in the fifth U.N. Security Council secret ballot.
The nomination of Georgieva, a powerful deputy president of the European Commission responsible for the bloc's budget, increases the chances of Bulgarian taking over at the head of the global organisation, Prime Minister Boiko Borisov told a government meeting.
"We consider that this will be a more successful nomination,"... read more
- 13:41 Nurse aims to deter cancer with lifestyle tips
- 13:41 Mum hits out at school bans on fidget spinners
- 13:40 Huddersfield families describe carnage of at Manchester attack
- 13:39 Antoine Griezmann admits he’s ready to leave Atletico Madrid in...
- 13:39 Manchester attack: Homeless man rushes to help, cradles dying woman...
- 13:39 Congo opens investigation into ex-minister over Kasai violence
- 13:39 Manchester terror attack: Concert-goer rang 999 in fear for her life
- 13:39 Man United target Antoine Griezmann: I'm ready to quit Atletico...
- 13:37 Doncaster sexual health and HIV services are moving near the town...
- 13:35 Thieves steal £3,000 of Lego in Poole and Bournemouth raids
- 13:35 PICTURE SPECIAL: A fun day out for all the family at Stewkley’s...
- 13:35 Charlie Gard's parents urge judges to reverse court decision
- 13:35 Manchester attack: Homeless man rushes to help, cradles dying woman...
- 13:35 Floyd Mayweather believes Conor McGregor fight is a contest fans...
- 13:35 Manchester attack: Take That cancel concert 'out of respect'
- 13:35 Chelsea confirm transfer deal: Ace will be at Stamford Bridge next...
- 13:35 Kettering mayor’s charity tributes to former deputies
- 13:34 Royal Oldham in armed lockdown
- 13:34 Historic school celebrates 300 years of education
- 13:34 Islamic State claims responsibility for Manchester Arena terror...
- 13:34 Concert mum: 'I just focused on getting my daughter to safety'
- 13:33 Inquest into Drayton Manor schoolgirl death adjourned
- 13:34 Barbaric
- 13:34 'Wonderfully eclectic' exhibition at the British Motor Museum
- 13:34 Man taken to Queen's Medical Centre with serious injuries after...
- 13:33 Manchester bombing: Don't shield kids from the truth about terrorism
- 13:33 Ross McCormack could still have a future at Aston Villa - this is why
- 13:33 Manchester Bombing: Kind-hearted strangers raise £180,000 for victims
- 13:33 Manchester attack: Homeless man rushes to help, cradles dying woman...
- 13:33 Theatre review: Music is Torture