Building new schools 'must be top priority' for government
Hundreds of extra schools could have to be built in England to cope with the school population bulge, say public sector buildings specialists.
Official figures suggest there will be almost 730,000 more school age children by 2020 than there were last year.
Scape group, which advises local authorities on new buildings, says this amounts to 24,287 more classrooms.
But ministers say there is "significant capacity still in the system... before new places need to be created".
A Department for Education spokeswoman said local authorities would continue to create thousands more school... read more
- 15:10 Leamington entrepreneur to launch competitive gaming leagues
- 15:10 Conference's £200,000 boost to city economy
- 15:10 Hallam Fields: Parents dismay new £4m Birstall school will...
- 15:09 Amazon, health stocks weigh on S&P, Nasdaq; Chevron lifts Dow
- 15:09 Venezuelan opposition strike patchy amid government threats
- 15:09 Residents' group launches Heathrow legal challenge amid 'apparent...
- 15:09 Scott Brown ran the show against Man City and he can do same for...
- 15:09 WATCH: Burton Albion unveil new £1 million 3G pitch
- 15:08 Kenya bans clipboards to curb exam cheating at schools
- 15:08 Doncaster runners urged to support charity
- 15:08 Killed driver was five times over limit
- 15:08 Accused Derby man Dominic Halliday-Fox made to wait in Swadlincote...
- 15:07 Council letter accidentally directs residents to hardcore porn site
- 15:07 Father who disappeared 23 years ago found living 1,000 miles away...
- 15:07 Site’s new building had housewives cooking on gas
- 15:07 Super Cubs celebrate highest possible achievement awards
- 15:07 Slugs have picked up a new bad habit because life in Britain is tough
- 15:07 Buxton B&B wins prestigious award for service
- 15:06 Brothers raped street drinker in front of their own sleeping mother
- 15:05 Site’s new building had housewives cooking on gas
- 15:05 Police revealing all calls they deal with today on Twitter
- 15:05 Two women were assaulted in a Chesterfield nightclub
- 15:04 Site’s new building had housewives cooking on gas
- 15:04 Owner achieves lifelong dream with opening of new ladies boutique...
- 15:04 Top honour for D-day Navy veteran Walter
- 15:04 Man slapped in the face in Northampton town centre
- 15:02 Barcelona manager Luis Enrique defends former teammate Pep...
- 15:02 Pep Guardiola expresses concern at Manchester City's poor form...
- 15:02 Bawtry Post Office set to move location
- 15:02 Police revealing all calls they deal with today on Twitter