Buckley pastor's accidentally risqué church sign causes unholy commotion
A red-faced pastor said he had no idea of the innuendo surrounding the term “spit or swallow” when he put up a sign outside his Buckley church.
Reverend Bob Marshall, who is originally from Indiana in the United States , placed a board outside the Ebenezer Baptist Chapel on Brunswick Road saying: “Forgiveness is swallowing when you want to spit.”
But it wasn’t until a parishioner explained the sexual connotations of the message on this side of the Atlantic that he realised it was a double entendre.
Rev Marshall said: “When I put that sign out I had no idea what it meant over here.... read more
- 09:19 Man jailed for 22 years for child rape in Nottinghamshire in 1970s
- 09:19 Man taken to hospital as car and van crash in freezing weather
- 09:18 Prime Minister’s response to question on Hartlepool’s hospital was...
- 09:18 Hartlepool backs festive Walking Home for Christmas campaign
- 09:18 Danger driver led police on 80mph chase
- 09:18 League tables put Hartlepool school in top ten
- 09:18 Police look to CCTV to identify Wesley arsonists
- 09:18 Boy, 14, accidentally drains mum’s entire bank account playing FIFA
- 09:17 Boxer Amir Khan to celebrate birthday in Digbeth – with pregnant wife
- 09:16 Appeal after theft of number plate
- 09:14 Arbroath receive big fitness boost ahead of game at Alloa
- 09:15 Jeff Brazier’s fiancé Kate Dwyer posts first family snap as she...
- 09:14 Dundee United’s Tam Scobbie comes up against in-form strike...
- 09:14 St Johnstone head to Ibrox without Murray Davidson
- 09:14 East Fife work on plans to thwart table-topping Ayr United
- 09:15 Premier League predictions: Arsenal, Chelsea and Man Utd win,...
- 09:14 Raith Rovers look to extend 100% home record
- 09:15 Newcastle United exclusive: Rafa Benitez has overachieved with...
- 09:14 Montrose looking for Elgin City revenge
- 09:14 Dundee’s Paul McGowan hoping to make amends for Hearts ‘blip’...
- 09:14 The Yorkshire Post says: Exposé into West Yorkshire Combined...
- 09:14 Dundee boss looking for players to right a lot of wrongs
- 09:14 Experienced duo available for Forfar
- 09:14 Dunfermline looking to turn the clock back against St Mirren
- 09:14 Relegation six-pointer for Brechin and Falkirk
- 09:11 Hate Christmas? You can now smash up festive decorations for fun
- 09:11 Thomas Lemar sends Gooners into meltdown by ‘liking’ post claiming...
- 09:10 Latest news from Berwick Stoma Support Group
- 09:09 The ‘potentially hazardous’ asteroid Phaeton 3200 will zoom past...
- 09:09 Twice-banned Nelson drink-driver caught behind the wheel whilst...