Brussels bureaucrat Martin Schulz ‘to be AXED as MEPs gang up to limit presidential terms’
The EU grandee cruised to a victory during the last presidential election but could now be brutally cut out by MEPs who have thrown their weight behind the amendment.
The amendment in the report on parliamentary rule changes will be debated in November.
The order would “promote fresh leadership” according to British MEP Ashley Fox and show the house has “democratic values”.
If introduced, it would scupper any chance of Schulz holding onto a third consecutive term.
Schulz had previously agreed to step aside in January 2017 with Manfred Weber, of the conservative European People’s Party... read more
- 00:27 The multi-millionaire who is giving his business away
- 00:27 How Ikea's Billy bookcase took over the world
- 00:27 How to stop your career stagnating like Reggie Perrin's
- 00:25 Man United v Chelsea transfer battle: Giants sent scouts to watch...
- 00:25 Agent: My client was still upset when he returned to Liverpool last...
- 00:24 'They are delighted': Hollyoaks actress Jennifer Metcalfe is...
- 00:24 'They've been spending a lot of time apart': Claims Hugh Jackman...
- 00:24 Hartlepool United defensive lapses must be stopped
- 00:20 Fresh fears that business rates increase could hit investment
- 00:19 Energy bills: customer switching hits six-year high
- 00:19 New York’s example can help the North become economic powerhouse
- 00:17 Consumers switching of energy suppliers reaches six year high
- 00:16 Last weekend's TV reviewed: Diana styled it her way
- 00:14 Holograms, mistrust and 'fake news' in France's election
- 00:14 Oscars 2017 WINNERS LIST: Will La La Land sweep the board?
- 00:14 Based on a true story: We should expect too much from our...
- 00:13 GPs are failing people with eating disorders, says charity
- 00:11 Drivers face double points for phone use
- 00:11 YEP Says: Reliable service vital for Leeds’s future success
- 00:04 The disappearance of Jonathan Spollen
- 00:03 Howe vows Cherries will keep pressing
- 00:03 The war grief, pain and loss that will not be televised
- 00:03 Time to ask the arms industry to come clean
- 00:03 A memory that serves us well
- 00:03 Harry thrills with hat-trick
- 00:03 Six Nations: Messy England fend off Italy
- 00:03 What price Claudio?
- 00:03 The other Miliband obfuscates for Murdoch
- 00:03 The people hold Venezuela's future
- 00:03 Little good in DWP’s mass jobcentre cull