Brussels bigwig accused of breaking EU laws after using jet of pro-Russia businessman
Gunther Oettinger, the commissioner responsible for Digital Economy and Society as well as the German representative at the European Commission, used the private jet to travel to Hungary on May 18, for a meeting with Hungarian Prime Minister, Viktor Orban.
He claimed that if he had refused the lift he would have been late for the meeting.
Critics have accused Mr Oettinger of breaching European Union rules - which state that employees cannot accept gifts of more than £129 (€150) - as well as neglecting to declare contact with a lobbyist, which marks another violation of EU regulations.
The... read more
- 10:55 Police launch investigation after thieves target a van
- 10:53 Warning after crews tackle flat fire in Preston
- 10:53 Liverpool and Spurs eye former Premier League striker: January deal...
- 10:51 Alexis Sanchez and Mesut Ozil working together to get more money...
- 10:48 Thug left partner covered in bite marks, bruises and scratches...
- 10:48 More than 100 motorists caught speeding on the A50 - in just three...
- 10:47 Police’s Operation Cracker reaps results in fight against shoplifters
- 10:44 LIVE: Brentford v Burton Albion build-up, Brewers search for first...
- 10:44 Pop stars send messages of condolence to Doncaster's Louis...
- 10:38 People are loving the story of 60-year-old Sue’s first ever...
- 10:38 Traffic warning due to A5 closure after lorry blaze
- 10:36 Defibrillator stolen from Market Drayton Football Club
- 10:34 Shop open for business after cash machine ripped from wall
- 10:34 Coyle pleased with Rovers’ good form
- 10:33 Firefighters battle car blaze as police launch investigation
- 10:33 Police’s Operation Cracker reaps results in fight against shoplifters
- 10:33 Police launch investigation after thieves target a van
- 10:29 Hark the herald - it’s time for Carols by Candlelight
- 10:28 Lincoln City to face Nantwich Town in FA Trophy first round
- 10:26 Police launch investigation after thieves target a van
- 10:24 First drive: 2017 Nissan X-Trail
- 10:23 Suspected car bomb kills two policemen at checkpoint near Somali...
- 10:21 Boots For Buddies appeal will ensure football is open to everyone
- 10:19 Red Dog Saloon given ONE star food hygiene rating
- 10:19 West Bridgford Dramatic Society's A Christmas Carol: Review
- 10:19 Celebrations as Ethel turns 103 today
- 10:18 ‘Large number’ affected by burst water main in Boston area
- 10:15 Marco Verratti believes Real Madrid and Barcelona would struggle in...
- 10:15 Hundreds of fish found dead at Sunderland lake which suffered...
- 10:15 Sunderland Echo poll shows u-turn on Brexit