British woman dies falling 300ft off path in Madeira to become THIRD UK victim on trail
The unnamed 43-year-old woman lost her life after plunging more than 300 feet from the Levada do Norte while she was walking with her husband.
The walk she fell on follows the route of a mini-canal developed to distribute water from the rainfall in the north of the island to the drier parts of the south.
Firefighters were called out to rescue her but local civil protection workers who were also mobilised said she was pronounced dead at the scene.
The tragedy happened around 11.30am yesterday.
Levadas, the Portuguese name given to water channels that run along the side of a hill or mountain... read more
- 08:45 Cake sale in aid of north Cumbrian teenager badly hurt in crash
- 08:44 Emma Watson has launched an Instagram account that is going to...
- 08:44 Morrisons recalls beef slices over listeria fears
- 08:44 Thanks for the support - now give us brass
- 08:43 The morning news headlines: Theresa May warned of 'crash landing'...
- 08:43 European shares led higher by telecoms, Unilever slump weighs
- 08:43 RISE AND SHINE: Live travel news, weather and fun features
- 08:42 Person rescued from early morning house fire
- 08:42 RISE AND SHINE: Live travel news, weather and fun features
- 08:41 Two Barrow teenagers banned from football for five years after...
- 08:41 Delays on Leeds-bound M1 after multi-vehicle crash at Wakefield
- 08:41 Oscar nominee Isabelle Huppert 'nearly wasn't in Elle'
- 08:41 WW2 veteran fulfils wartime wish by turning 100 surrounded by...
- 08:41 Brian Wilson: Crunch time now for BBC Alba, a Scottish success story
- 08:41 Which pop stars deserve a blue plaque in their honour?
- 08:41 Donald Trump state visit will be debated in Parliament
- 08:41 Column: Decision must be made about college
- 08:40 NHS IN CRISIS: ‘Stroke patients will have to travel further to...
- 08:40 Delays on Leeds-bound M1 after multi-vehicle crash at Wakefield
- 08:39 Firefighters tackle car blaze near Ludlow
- 08:39 Video: Tadcaster whole again as Archbishop blesses bridge
- 08:39 Celebrate town, but don’t revert to stereotypes
- 08:39 Shooting victim named as Sheffield murder investigation continues
- 08:39 Out-of depth May in thrall to authoritarian Tory right
- 08:38 NHS IN CRISIS: GP numbers in England heading for a ‘cliff edge’
- 08:38 NHS IN CRISIS: ‘Stroke patients will have to travel further to...
- 08:38 The morning news headlines: Theresa May warned of 'crash landing'...
- 08:38 Cillian Murphy 'nicked' film director's crew for Peaky Blinders
- 08:38 Victim offers reward for recovery of stolen car
- 08:38 Birmingham hotter than Rome as hot air from Caribbean sweeps in