British tourists warned to 'stay in resorts' in Jamaica security emergency
British tourists are being warned they should stay inside their resorts in Montego Bay, Jamaica.
The Jamaican government has declared a state of emergency in the St James parish, after a number of "shooting incidents".
The Foreign Office has told British tourists to stay in the confines of their hotels as a "major military operation" takes place.
About 200,000 British tourists holiday in the Montego Bay area every year.
A spokesman for the Foreign Office said: "[Tourists] should follow local advice including restrictions in selected areas, and exercise particular... read more
- 07:24 Delays and lane closures on M62
- 07:23 Mambas, medicine and one girl's race to survive Kenya's biting problem
- 07:23 'A ticket to the next life': the lavish Buddhist dog funerals of...
- 07:23 Real Madrid vs Liverpool: Combined XI of the two clubs ahead of...
- 07:23 Chelsea news: David Luiz wanted by Carlo Ancelotti in first Napoli...
- 07:21 How many litres of water should I drink in a day?
- 07:18 I'm nervous about buying a house – should I go ahead?
- 07:18 Europcar claims I scratched my hire car, but where’s the evidence?
- 07:17 MP stresses the crucial nature of a good rail service for Berwick
- 07:15 Four arrested in Hartlepool following car chase
- 07:14 Carradice leads fight back as Birstall overcome Hopton Mills to...
- 07:14 Twist at top of Premier table as Hanging Heaton suffer first defeat...
- 07:12 Two Barnsley women due in court today accused of murder
- 07:11 Befriending service for the lonely in Northampton plea for urgent...
- 07:10 Dowson delighted to be part of Boyd's Saints setup
- 07:10 Arsenal star Henrikh Mkhitaryan reveals what he hopes Unai Emery...
- 07:10 Thomas reassures Cobblers fans that off-field issues will not...
- 07:10 Poolies have the power to drive Hartlepool United back where they...
- 07:09 Emergency ‘shock’ measures lined up for Scots economy
- 07:06 Man runs 67-mile heart-shaped marathon around Manchester to pay...
- 07:04 Health column: Athletes must look after their brains
- 07:04 IN PICTURES: Buckingham comes together for the royal wedding
- 07:02 Trains disrupted because of car on railway line in Rotherham
- 07:02 Guest Column: Does social media improve modern life?
- 07:02 Arsenal news: Mikel Arteta eyeing 'new Premier League job' after...
- 07:01 Football team of Northampton man killed in hit-and-run to hold...
- 07:01 Delays and lane closures on M62
- 07:01 Fears of staffing crisis as GPs ‘can only accept urgent patients’
- 06:59 Leader comment: The Scotsman finds Donald Trump’s perfect golf partner
- 06:58 Dad and daughter team up for 400km charity cycle challenge