British skier dies along with Dutchman in Austria after 'group triggers' massive avalanche
The 40-year-old Briton, who was part of a ten-person snow touring group in Western Austria, died along with a 22-year-old Dutchman following the "very big" snow slip.
The authorities claim that the group itself triggered the avalanche while climbing up the mountain.
The avalanche, which took place close to the popular resort of St Anton, stretched for 1,000 metres and was 800 metres wide.
The horrifying incident happened on Saturday at 12:30pm, but poor mobile connection meant that the rescue operation was slow.
The body of the 22-year-old Dutch man was dug out of the snow on... read more
- 12:17 Awards for High School students
- 12:17 Mercedes to sign Nico Rosberg replacement before end of the year,...
- 12:17 Christmas fundraiser showcases work of Dementia Support South Lincs
- 12:14 Turns out Liverpool ARE playing in the Champions League
- 12:13 Derbyshire police investigates reports of historic child abuse in...
- 12:13 Ironville and Codnor Park Primary School is 'inadequate'
- 12:13 Shop hopes to win licence by not selling super-strength alcohol
- 12:12 Man Utd Transfer News: Shock double Everton swoop, £60m Real raid,...
- 12:10 Derbyshire police investigates reports of historic child abuse in...
- 12:10 Teen’s tragic death is stark reminder on why not to drink or drug...
- 12:08 Award winning band set to play in East Lancashire
- 12:07 Two-car collision causing delays on the A38
- 12:07 Halloween boosts profits for Alton Towers owner
- 12:07 Mum campaigns for traffic lights outside North Wingfield primary
- 12:06 Donation made to food bank is a timely boost before Christmas
- 12:06 Grantham Journal letter: Centre has failed spectacularly
- 12:04 Matt Palmer wants to back up stunning first goal of the season for...
- 12:04 Bournemouth vs Liverpool LIVE: Adam Lallana and Roberto Firmino...
- 12:03 Fire at large Derbyshire building
- 12:03 Police cordon and forensics outside Nottingham's Pryzm nightclub
- 12:00 Bluebell Hospice needs you!
- 11:58 River Trent search after person goes overboard from vessel
- 11:56 Euan McColm: Dublin love-in keeps indyref2 hopes alive
- 11:56 Alcoholic family from Stoke-on-Trent costs taxpayers more than £1...
- 11:56 Cost of new footbridge between Aslackby and Graby branded ‘madness’
- 11:56 CCTV image released by police investigating graffiti incident at...
- 11:55 Charity can help with mediation after couples separate
- 11:53 Demetrious Johnson survives scare to defend flyweight title against...
- 11:53 Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang admits he doesn't know if he will be...
- 11:53 We survived 'Arsenovember'... Mesut Ozil expresses delight as...