Britain’s silent killer: How little-known lung condition now claims more lives in UK than leukaemia, brain or stomach cancer – but doctors still don’t know what causes it
Doctors are warning that a 'silent killer' lung condition could be among the top five deadliest diseases in the UK within a decade unless a cure is found.
Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF) now kills more people in the UK than leukaemia, brain or stomach cancer – yet few people have heard of it and research is chronically underfunded, according to experts.
Britons are twice as likely to die from IPF than in a road accident, says the British Lung Foundation, but the disease has remained so underfunded in research doctors still don't know what causes it.
The terminal condition, characterised... read more
- 01:53 Championship verdict: Nigel Adkins seems to have got Hull in shape...
- 01:42 The Scots who fought in the battle for Jerusalem
- 01:41 Star Wars: The blockbuster made in Borehamwood
- 01:35 The death (possibly) of monogamy and other relationships
- 01:35 He could have been a contender
- 01:35 Alternatives to the nightmare of a society ravaged by inequality
- 01:35 Defoe brace secures a point for Cherries against Palace
- 01:35 Son shines bright for Spurs in dominant win over Stoke
- 01:35 David’s West Ham slays Goliath as Conte concedes title
- 01:35 The financial aristocrats will eat themselves
- 01:35 The Middle East peace process lies in ruins
- 01:35 ‘This is the 275th day of our hunger strike’
- 01:35 It seems that Brexit doesn’t mean Brexit
- 01:35 Boris leaves Iran without an agreement on jailed Brit
- 01:35 Survivors still let down 6 months on
- 01:35 See the light: Ban nuclear weapons
- 01:33 League Two verdict: Jack Lester is finally turning things around as...
- 01:33 League One verdict: Wimbledon's Darius Charles stumps up £150 to...
- 01:28 I’m A Celebrity 2017: Iain Lee brands Ant and Dec 'b******s' during...
- 01:28 Business leaders urge ministers to 'steady Scotland's economic ship'
- 01:24 Galloway national park fight stepped up
- 01:24 'We are coming for you' message on abuse
- 01:23 Rangers' pop at Aberdeen boss Derek McInnes' ambition lacked class
- 01:18 Dana White reveals how he really feels about GSP vacating the MW title
- 01:12 Amir Khan gets confrontational with Iain Lee during I’m A Celeb...
- 01:10 I'm A Celebrity 2017: Iain Lee reveals he was nearly killed twice...
- 00:56 Furious Jose Mourinho has MILK thrown at him after storming into...
- 00:55 Andy Murray and Novak Djokovic may NEVER be the same again -...
- 00:55 Brexit: Theresa May claims new sense of optimism in talks
- 00:54 New Chief Constable starts work