Britain’s silent killer: How little-known lung condition now claims more lives in UK than leukaemia, brain or stomach cancer – but doctors still don’t know what causes it
Doctors are warning that a 'silent killer' lung condition could be among the top five deadliest diseases in the UK within a decade unless a cure is found.
Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF) now kills more people in the UK than leukaemia, brain or stomach cancer – yet few people have heard of it and research is chronically underfunded, according to experts.
Britons are twice as likely to die from IPF than in a road accident, says the British Lung Foundation, but the disease has remained so underfunded in research doctors still don't know what causes it.
The terminal condition, characterised... read more
- 13:42 Brexit: Theresa May promises to build a ‘more united nation’
- 13:42 Search on for best talent in Daventry
- 13:42 Fun and flavour at Althorp Food and Drink Festival
- 13:42 What’s up choc? Warning as bunny falls ill from scoffing sweet treat
- 13:41 Atletico Madrid team-mate opens up on Antoine Griezmann to Man...
- 13:41 Liverpool clear favourites to beat Chelsea and Man United to Real...
- 13:41 Little Mix star Leigh-Anne Pinnock jumps into boyfriend Andre...
- 13:41 Coastguard paged to rescue dog
- 13:41 Drone that flies WITHOUT a human pilot has been given permission to...
- 13:41 Just ONE injection of stem cells from a man's stomach could be a...
- 13:41 Syria's Raqqa expected to join Kurdish-led federalism - Kurdish leader
- 13:40 Police 'concerned' over missing Scarborough teen
- 13:40 Millions of energy customers could roll back bills to 2008 prices
- 13:40 Soon babies could get 5 in 1 vaccination from birth
- 13:39 Yorkshire weather: Cloudy skies bring an end to our all-too-brief...
- 13:39 Video: Could you be the right person to help monitor cells at West...
- 13:39 Come and have a dance at the ceilidh
- 13:39 Mum’s the Word
- 13:38 Inquiry launched into 'unsustainable' nuclear decommissioning contract
- 13:38 Notorious Carlisle nuisance back behind bars
- 13:38 ‘I can’t accept it. It’s not right. It should never have happened.’
- 13:38 Volunteers recognised for helping vulnerable young families in Burton
- 13:37 St Joseph's Primary Academy gets colourful for Holi Festival
- 13:37 Potholes nightmare: Is this Harrogate's worst road?
- 13:36 Morrisons and Sainsbury’s latest to cut price of petrol as...
- 13:36 Two Rugby schools set to form multi-academy trust
- 13:36 Heartbroken Sheffield make-up artist's big fundraiser after losing...
- 13:36 Hot Dudes With Dogs is an Instagram account we can all totally get...
- 13:36 Man helped fearsome blackmailer stay on the run from police
- 13:35 Soon babies could get 5 in 1 vaccination from birth