Britain’s poor record on health spending
For a rich nation, we are asking our NHS doctors and nurses to provide excellent care with comparatively limited levels of support, and it is hardly surprising that standards of delivery in particular areas of care appear low (Nine out of 10 NHS groups failing on cancer care, ratings show, 4 October).
OECD figures for 2014-15 show that the UK ranks 15th out of 42 countries surveyed in public spending on health provision. The 14 countries ranked above the UK spend, on average, 25% more per capita than the UK. With 2.8 doctors per 1,000 inhabitants, the UK ranks 24th out of 39 countries... read more
- 09:05 Shortlist revealed for Best of Health Awards
- 09:05 Clown theme planned for Hartlepool United away game
- 09:05 Model railway exhibition to help boost South Shields centre’s funds
- 09:05 Homes celebrate Queen’s birthday and National Care Home Day
- 09:05 Plea for public to help tackle flytipping after waste found dumped...
- 09:05 Hartlepool pub ordered to turn down the music
- 09:05 Motorists warned of A19 closures overnight for roadworks
- 09:05 Rafa Benitez outlines his big ambitions for Newcastle amid...
- 09:05 Rangers boss Graeme Murty reveals he will QUIT after Celtic loss...
- 09:04 Shortlist revealed for Best of Health Awards
- 09:04 Motorists warned of A19 closures overnight for roadworks
- 09:04 Latest news from Belford History Society
- 09:04 North Korea halts all missile tests and shuts down nuclear site...
- 09:03 Shakshouka
- 08:59 Men receive a whopping £29,000 more than women in retirement over...
- 08:59 Will this be the Knightsbridge of Ireland? We take a look around...
- 08:58 David Beckham aims subtle dig at Arsene Wenger critics in class...
- 08:57 Delays after van fire on the M6
- 08:57 Brave girl's kiss for dying mum days before she lost cancer battle...
- 08:57 'My kids!' Single mum's heartbreaking screams as she watched home...
- 08:56 'Surely it can't happen'? Coventry City fans are dreaming and...
- 08:53 London Marathon could be biggest ever despite heat worries
- 08:53 Arsène Wenger changed the face of English football. It was all him
- 08:52 Jazz festival returns to northern Lincolnshire
- 08:51 Man arrested for ‘breaking into Taylor Swift’s home and sleeping in...
- 08:46 Club relaunch hopes to curb village woes
- 08:39 Driver of car that overturned on the M6 arrested for suspected...
- 08:37 Cornelly United: Games to go ahead 'for our injured lads'
- 08:35 Scotch whisky is our liquid ambassador
- 08:35 Food blog: Brodie Williams