Britain's largest rail freight firm to cut a quarter of its workforce
Britain's largest rail freight firm DB Cargo UK plans to cut 893 jobs, over a quarter of its workforce, as the industry faces "unprecedented challenges" from difficult core markets such as coal, it said on Tuesday.
The company, a subsidiary of German rail company Deutsche Bahn AG which employs 3,400 people in Britain, said in a statement it would further reduce its locomotive and wagon fleet and revise the number and locations of its operational sites.
DB Cargo UK, headquartered in Doncaster, northern England, operates over 5,000 trains each month including services to and from... read more
- 08:04 The morning news headlines: Theresa May faces questioning by MPs...
- 08:03 Pictures from inside Pulse nightclub reveal devastation of worst...
- 08:03 Outsourcer Mitie replaces finance chief as it issues another profit...
- 08:03 Premier Foods lowers year profit forecast after weak third quarter
- 08:01 Chelsea done deal: Player leaks news he's signed Blues contract
- 08:01 Ander Herrera turns up at Juan Mata's house before training… and...
- 08:00 Manchester United star reacts to extending Old Trafford stay
- 08:00 Drink-driver could be sent to jail after breaching suspended sentence
- 07:59 Sheffield residents urged to be vigilant after spate of burglaries
- 07:59 WARNING: South Yorkshire residents targeted in 'Migrant Helpline' scam
- 07:59 Acclaimed artist links up with school for new project
- 07:59 Grant Thorold Library set to get major improvements thanks to huge...
- 07:58 1000 holidaymakers flown home from Gambia amid unrest fears
- 07:57 Woman raped by 'Daddy' as a child only discovered monster WASN'T...
- 07:57 FBI's Top Ten Most Wanted: The nightmarish tales of America's most...
- 07:57 Drink-driver could be sent to jail after breaching suspended sentence
- 07:56 Sheffield mum wants your help to find muggers who beat son...
- 07:56 Rotherham hospital
- 07:56 God bless the NHS
- 07:56 A tale of two MPs
- 07:56 The rogue traders
- 07:56 JD Wetherspoon sees higher costs, lower sales
- 07:56 WARNING: South Yorkshire residents targeted in 'Migrant Helpline' scam
- 07:56 Credit checker Experian says third quarter revenue up, keeps full...
- 07:56 Did you belong to any scooter clubs?
- 07:56 Small number of £2 coins could be worth a fortune thanks to a mistake
- 07:56 Anthony Joshua swamped by vile anti-Muslim Twitter abuse after...
- 07:56 Battle between prams and wheelchairs on buses to be resolved
- 07:56 Alexis Sanchez: I love playing with Mesut Ozil but he mustn't worry...
- 07:56 Nate Diaz applying for boxing license in Nevada