Britain's FTSE buoyed by oil shares after OPEC agrees supply curbs
Britain's top share index rose near a 1-1/2 year high on Thursday, boosted by a rise in its heavyweight energy sector as a decision by OPEC to curb output for the first time since 2008 lifted oil prices.
Energy stocks added 47 points to the FTSE 100 .FTSE, contributing more than half of its rise.
The index was up 75.15 points, or 1.1 percent, at 6,924.53 at 0827 GMT, 0.4 percent away from its 2016 high. That peak, hit in August, was the index's highest level since April 2015.
Heavyweight oil firms such as Royal Dutch Shell (RDSa.L) and BP (BP.L) were up 5.6 and 4.5 percent respectively.... read more
- 11:19 Man who buys Windows 98-era laptop for $5 finds a Star Trek...
- 11:18 More passengers dissatisfied with railway service
- 11:18 Pigeon Man vows to continue feeding birds despite threat of jail
- 11:17 Tesco accused of ripping off customers after toilet rolls appear to...
- 11:16 Men win the battle of the taxes, says HMRC
- 11:16 Government loses Brexit Supreme Court battle over power to trigger...
- 11:16 Funding for housing
- 11:16 Public invited to Lincs East CCG Meeting in Woodhall Spa this Thursday
- 11:16 Myton School receive top award for their library
- 11:16 Kenilworth pair cook for world’s best chefs in France
- 11:16 Robert Fuller: Bounty for birds from wildlife friendly farming
- 11:16 Speeding fines are set to ROCKET to a week's wages
- 11:16 Social media users help capture fox injured by illegal trap in York
- 11:16 Irish town plagued with phone calls to Babestation chatline
- 11:16 Handsworth bus murder: Police release description of knife killer
- 11:16 10 wedding trends that will be everywhere in 2017
- 11:16 It doesn’t look likely that McDonald’s will bring all-day breakfast...
- 11:15 Simply the best: The top 30 players in the Premier League confirmed...
- 11:14 Joel Matip update: Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp finally ready to...
- 11:14 YouTuber becomes internet sensation as she promises sex show if she...
- 11:13 How did the filming of a music video end in tragedy?
- 11:13 Public invited to Lincs East CCG Meeting in Woodhall Spa this Thursday
- 11:13 People are genuinely concerned for Melania’s welfare following...
- 11:13 Why you shouldn’t secretly take a stranger’s photo and post it online
- 11:12 Will petrol prices in Derby keep on soaring?
- 11:12 Did you know you're living in a FOG CLOUD in Derby right now?
- 11:12 Social care gets £1m boost
- 11:12 Driving test changes due to affect Burton and South Derbyshire...
- 11:12 Manchester United, Liverpool and Chelsea in competition to sign...
- 11:12 Five stats that prove Alexis Sanchez is Arsenal's only hope of success