Britain's FTSE buoyed by oil shares after OPEC agrees supply curbs
Britain's top share index rose near a 1-1/2 year high on Thursday, boosted by a rise in its heavyweight energy sector as a decision by OPEC to curb output for the first time since 2008 lifted oil prices.
Energy stocks added 47 points to the FTSE 100 .FTSE, contributing more than half of its rise.
The index was up 75.15 points, or 1.1 percent, at 6,924.53 at 0827 GMT, 0.4 percent away from its 2016 high. That peak, hit in August, was the index's highest level since April 2015.
Heavyweight oil firms such as Royal Dutch Shell (RDSa.L) and BP (BP.L) were up 5.6 and 4.5 percent respectively.... read more
- 15:08 Kenya bans clipboards to curb exam cheating at schools
- 15:08 Doncaster runners urged to support charity
- 15:08 Killed driver was five times over limit
- 15:08 Accused Derby man Dominic Halliday-Fox made to wait in Swadlincote...
- 15:07 Council letter accidentally directs residents to hardcore porn site
- 15:07 Father who disappeared 23 years ago found living 1,000 miles away...
- 15:07 Site’s new building had housewives cooking on gas
- 15:07 Super Cubs celebrate highest possible achievement awards
- 15:07 Slugs have picked up a new bad habit because life in Britain is tough
- 15:07 Buxton B&B wins prestigious award for service
- 15:06 Brothers raped street drinker in front of their own sleeping mother
- 15:05 Site’s new building had housewives cooking on gas
- 15:05 Police revealing all calls they deal with today on Twitter
- 15:05 Two women were assaulted in a Chesterfield nightclub
- 15:04 Site’s new building had housewives cooking on gas
- 15:04 Owner achieves lifelong dream with opening of new ladies boutique...
- 15:04 Top honour for D-day Navy veteran Walter
- 15:04 Man slapped in the face in Northampton town centre
- 15:02 Barcelona manager Luis Enrique defends former teammate Pep...
- 15:02 Pep Guardiola expresses concern at Manchester City's poor form...
- 15:02 Bawtry Post Office set to move location
- 15:02 Police revealing all calls they deal with today on Twitter
- 15:02 Disharmony in British yoga community over moves to regulate teachers
- 15:01 First look inside the legendary Peggers Inn pub in more than a...
- 15:00 How to watch Manchester United vs Burnley - kick off time, team...
- 15:00 Residents' group launches Heathrow legal challenge amid 'apparent...
- 15:00 Mourinho explains why Henrikh Mkhitaryan is not playing at...
- 15:00 What TV channel is Manchester United vs Burnley on? Kick off time,...
- 15:00 Guardiola sees improvement in Man City trio
- 15:00 Manchester Giants add Austria international Moritz Lanegger ahead...