Bribes to quit gold-plated pensions rise by a fifth as desperate firms try to cut the future cost of their schemes
Firms are luring staff out of expensive final salary pensions by offering them up to one-fifth more cash than a year ago.
Savers have been stampeding to cash in their gold-plated pensions under new rules which allow customers to take their retirement pot as a lump sum.
Advice firm Old Mutual says that savers are typically being offered between 10 per cent and 20 per cent more than earlier this year.
The firm said that rock bottom interest rates were partially behind the tempting deals.
This is because as interest rates fall, the amount that pension firms must pay out to savers rises.
In... read more
- 04:18 Japan PM hopes for progress on peace treaty with Russia
- 04:08 Jose Mourinho has been waiting for his Man Utd players to do this -...
- 03:36 PM to enjoy Doctor Who and Agatha Christie on Christmas Day
- 03:36 Syria conflict: The things Syrians take with them
- 03:22 Fidel, Russia and rekindled Cold War memories
- 03:18 Prince Harry visits children's home on Caribbean tour
- 03:14 Handful of nuts a day can help keep the doctor away, research shows
- 03:14 Fresh attack on sugar tax plans as draft legislation possible
- 03:14 101-year-old on trial accused of historic child sex offences
- 03:14 Michael Coe, associate of hate preacher Anjem Choudary, to...
- 03:13 Trump rants against China in Twitter outburst
- 03:02 The city getting rich from fake news
- 02:58 Racial segregation 'growing in UK', Dame Louise Casey warns
- 02:53 David Bowie up for BBC Music British Artist award
- 02:50 China markets fall, buying in small caps as Shenzhen-HK goes live
- 02:34 UK shop prices fall again, but Brexit cost pressures build - BRC
- 02:31 Who will help Myanmar's Rohingya?
- 02:31 India's Jayaram Jayalalitha suffers heart attack
- 02:22 Man dies on Oxbridge 'Varsity' ski trip to French Alps
- 02:12 China services sector activity expands at quickest rate in 16...
- 02:00 Turner Prize winner to be announced
- 01:58 Snacking on nuts each day can cut disease risk
- 01:52 Emerald Demelza! Poldark star Eleanor Tomlinson looks striking in a...
- 01:52 'It doesn't make sense': Adam Thomas's soap star brother Ryan...
- 01:52 London calling! Supermodel Gigi Hadid cuts a low key figure as she...
- 01:52 Ain't nothing like a dame! Judi Dench wraps up in a chic camel coat...
- 01:52 It's a cover up! Nicole Scherzinger goes from dramatic cleavage...
- 01:52 'Who is this imposter?' Twitter goes wild as viewers accuse Lady...
- 01:52 For the Friel of it! Anna leads the style at the British...
- 01:48 Most foreign firms owning London property are registered in tax...