Brian Monteith: Theresa May must learn from past Tory mistakes
I sometimes wonder if the Conservative Party has a political death wish. I really do. At times throughout its history it has made significant errors of judgment that have put its future at risk, or much worse, risked the future of our country, by which I mean the United Kingdom.
Readers may have their own favourites. Those older than me (a diminishing group) might think of the period of appeasement of Hitler during the Thirties or the drive to take us into the Common Market that finally bore fruit in the Seventies. I certainly would include the selling out of British fishermen and their... read more
- 17:07 Lincolnshire Police reveals upsurge in assualts on officers
- 17:06 Thomas Orchard custody death: Police force charged
- 17:06 Motorcyclist seriously injured after crash with car near Rugby
- 17:04 Scottish Government opens hub in Berlin to boost business links
- 17:04 Former member of Northamptonshire's Jesus Army member jailed for...
- 17:03 Former carer repeatedly stole from from vulnerable Leamington woman
- 17:03 Nicky helps champ break Boxercise world record
- 17:03 Jeff Bezos v the world: why all companies fear 'death by Amazon'
- 17:03 Cyber crime officers to be recruited in West Yorkshire
- 17:02 Harron Homes donate £1,000 to Shireoaks Village Hall renovation...
- 17:02 Toronto man charged in 'horrific' van attack that killed 10 people
- 17:02 Trump dismisses query about Michael Cohen pardon with two words:...
- 17:02 Cambridge Analytica: five key claims by academic at heart of scandal
- 17:01 Your Whitby Gazette now at another new peak
- 17:01 William Friedkin: 'You don’t know a damn thing, and neither do I'
- 17:01 Love Island’s Marcel Somerville and Gabby Allen ‘on the verge of...
- 16:59 Adorable family of deer spotted on public park in Walsall - and...
- 16:58 Ucas orders inquiry into 'racial profiling' of UK students
- 16:58 A tooled up gang of mercenaries armed to the teeth with ukuleles
- 16:57 Donald Trump says Kim Jong Un is ‘very open’ and ‘very honorable’
- 16:56 How bouncing back from Hull City thrashing has shown Burton...
- 16:56 Yorkshire financial adviser who cost investor £2m and his marriage...
- 16:55 Horse fly-tipping: why are animals being left to die?
- 16:55 Money problems: why Finland has given up on the basic income dream
- 16:55 BTS to return to America to perform at the Billboard Music Awards...
- 16:55 Parking charges for disabled motorists coming to our hospitals
- 16:53 Man sells all of his belongings and invests in Bitcoin to travel...
- 16:52 Hartlepool United reserves suffer heavy home loss
- 16:52 Thug Simeon Corry guilty of murdering JLR worker Garry Twist in rum...
- 16:51 VIDEO: Watch as majestic war horse is crane lifted into new home in...