Brexit worries see pound hit 31-year low against dollar
Sterling has sunk to a fresh 31-year low against the US dollar as concerns over a "hard Brexit" continue to weigh on the UK currency.
The pound was down 0.8% against the greenback at 1.264 US dollars, as investors remained spooked by the Prime Minister's announcement on Tuesday that she will trigger Article 50 by March next year.
This is expected to herald a "hard Brexit", pulling Britain out of the European single market so the Government can tighten its grip on immigration.
The fall came as sterling remained at a five-year low against the euro, down 0.5% at 1.131... read more
- 11:21 No border to a good education
- 11:21 The Prince of Denmark comes to Duns Castle
- 11:21 Parkland survivor David Hogg aims to 'create the NRA – except for...
- 11:21 Couple obsessed with Boyzone member guilty of killing French nanny
- 11:20 Russian military downed flight MH17, say investigators
- 11:19 Firefighters called out to Tottington trees fire
- 11:18 COLUMN: Plan wisely for retirement and it could be one long holiday
- 11:17 Sheffield schools at 'tipping point', Prime Minister is told
- 11:15 Is Mohamed Salah fasting for Ramadan ahead of the Champions...
- 11:15 Roads closed after injured woman found near St Helens car park
- 11:13 Praise for lifeboat aid
- 11:12 Get in! Here’s some fab photos from a 2009 Hartlepool schools day...
- 11:12 Gadgets: 5 of the best projectors
- 11:12 Gardening: 5 of the best garden gnomes
- 11:11 Andrés Iniesta signs for Japanese club Vissel Kobe after leaving...
- 11:11 East Midlands businesswomen share the stories of their success at...
- 11:11 Kyle Edmund: Is he the new Andy Murray? Or just Tim Henman?
- 11:11 HEATWAVE: East Midlands set to bask in RECORD BREAKING Bank Holiday...
- 11:11 Is anyone really surprised that there’s now Meghan and Harry...
- 11:11 Are smartphones causing more teen suicides?
- 11:10 Charity ball for Headway Preston and Chorley is a success
- 11:10 Whitley Bay restaurant is cooking up a storm for TV show
- 11:10 Complex to hold open day to celebrate £1.2m refurbishment
- 11:10 Final preparations made for Whitley Bay Carnival
- 11:09 Children discover the delights of vegetarian food
- 11:08 SuperJosh volunteers take on 36-mile walk from Blackpool to Bury
- 11:06 Clitheroe twins are treasure hunt winners
- 11:06 Political football: NFL’s new anthem policy is a ‘victory for Trump’
- 11:06 VIDEO: St John the Baptist C of E Primary School Mexborough
- 11:05 Live exports regulator cries while describing conditions that led...