Brexit will leave UK better off than EU nations, German business boss predicts
Brexit could leave the country better off than its former European Union partners, a leading German businessman has suggested.
Mathias Doepfner, chief executive of publishing giant Axel Springer, said he could see the UK adopting a "more free market-oriented model" which could be a "highly attractive" alternative to the EU economy.
He told the Financial Times that Britain was bound to experience short-term pain as a consequence of its June 23 vote to quit the EU, "but in three to five years from now, my bet would be that England will be better off than continental... read more
- 08:24 Aston Villa LIVE: Steve Bruce's press conference; Scott Hogan...
- 08:24 Cannabis plants found in police raid in Rotherham
- 08:24 Tributes after legendary local football figure dies
- 08:23 Property expert reveals where in Grimsby and Cleethorpes is best...
- 08:23 Badminton: Double delight for Diane Gillan at Scottish Championships
- 08:22 Here’s how you can cancel your Labour party membership
- 08:22 Challenge of delays in leaving hospital
- 08:21 Lorry driver rescued by Lincolnshire’s Deputy Police and Crime...
- 08:20 Zachary Quinto slams Trump over transgender students at Oscar...
- 08:20 Guus Hiddink on Leicester City’s shortlist to replace Claudio Ranieri
- 08:20 Lorry driver rescued by Lincolnshire’s Deputy Police and Crime...
- 08:20 Should Nottingham's Brian Clough statue be moved to the City Ground?
- 08:19 Littletown defeat league leaders and remain on course for treble
- 08:17 In Japan, 'Rocky' and 'Premium Friday' join fight against overtime
- 08:17 Chelsea first-team star could be shipped out this summer: Here's why
- 08:16 The Walking Dead's Jeffrey Dean Morgan SLAMS 'stupid people'...
- 08:13 Storm Doris sees Boston’s Sluice Bridge level crossing stuck shut
- 08:12 Middlewood Park and Ride closed this Sunday for maintenance work
- 08:10 Vital Foresight youth club saved thanks to £66,000 grant funding...
- 08:10 Health minister Philip Dunne backing midwife-led maternity units
- 08:10 Work to start on converting Newport's Royal Victoria Hotel into flats
- 08:10 Shropshire councillors freeze annual allowances
- 08:10 Spared jail: Telford teenager sexually assaulted woman as she slept
- 08:10 Shropshire savers lose out as building society cuts rates
- 08:10 Paul Nuttall defiant despite humiliating defeat in Stoke Central...
- 08:10 Shropshire pub raiders steal cash, alcohol and laptop
- 08:10 Person 'unaccounted for' after Shropshire house fire
- 08:10 Every goth needs these skull shaped bath bombs
- 08:09 90 Lancaster firms will be hit by contractor shake-up
- 08:09 Musical La La Land could make Oscar history this weekend