Brexit will leave UK better off than EU nations, German business boss predicts
Brexit could leave the country better off than its former European Union partners, a leading German businessman has suggested.
Mathias Doepfner, chief executive of publishing giant Axel Springer, said he could see the UK adopting a "more free market-oriented model" which could be a "highly attractive" alternative to the EU economy.
He told the Financial Times that Britain was bound to experience short-term pain as a consequence of its June 23 vote to quit the EU, "but in three to five years from now, my bet would be that England will be better off than continental... read more
- 12:05 Campaign for Scottish stadiums to be breastfeeding-friendly
- 12:04 Jarrow School team into national F1 Schools competition final
- 12:02 Paige Doherty's mum says child killers deserve 'minimum of 35...
- 12:02 Bethan Kelly fifth in GB University Championships
- 12:01 World Day of Prayer event at town church
- 12:00 All you need to know about ultra-marathons as Burton Albion man...
- 11:59 Someone invented a genius way to stop cereal going soggy, but it’s...
- 11:59 Children's home abuse accused appears in court
- 11:58 Have you seen the Mick Foley plaque in Sefton Park?
- 11:57 Drivers caught using mobile phones face harsher penalties - what...
- 11:57 High-flying drone nearly hit passenger plane at East Midlands Airport
- 11:55 Oops! Man drives into police van while drunk
- 11:55 £700,000 is what you'll need for a des res in Lincolnshire's most...
- 11:55 Dani Alves wants Man City move - and other transfer talk
- 11:55 Carlo Ancelotti: I hate agreeing with Man United boss Jose Mourinho...
- 11:55 Arsenal star posts worrying injury update on Instragam account: It...
- 11:53 Paul Scholes: This Man United player has disappointed me
- 11:53 Williams F1 2017 launch: Stunning new snaps of FW40 car
- 11:52 WATCH: 10 of the most viewed Storm Doris videos
- 11:52 Be warned: new phone scam on its way here
- 11:52 Blind boy, 9, with cerebral palsy dies from starvation weighing...
- 11:50 Elderly woman injured in accident
- 11:49 Starbucks Frappuccino bath bombs are now a thing
- 11:49 West Brom vs Bournemouth: How can you follow it, team news, odds,...
- 11:49 Erdington roof siege: Wanted man held riot police at bay from top...
- 11:49 Andy Carroll picks unlikely name in his dream five-a-side team
- 11:49 Southampton boss Claude Puel: My players can stop this Man United star
- 11:48 Look inside eerie abandoned Anglesey WWII soldiers' home
- 11:45 Chelsea star sends message to Antonio Conte: I have proven myself -...
- 11:45 Arsenal tell fans Alexis Sanchez is leaving the club this summer