Brexit will leave UK better off than EU nations, German business boss predicts
Brexit could leave the country better off than its former European Union partners, a leading German businessman has suggested.
Mathias Doepfner, chief executive of publishing giant Axel Springer, said he could see the UK adopting a "more free market-oriented model" which could be a "highly attractive" alternative to the EU economy.
He told the Financial Times that Britain was bound to experience short-term pain as a consequence of its June 23 vote to quit the EU, "but in three to five years from now, my bet would be that England will be better off than continental... read more
- 08:08 Antoine Griezmann agrees five-year Barcelona contract after message...
- 08:08 Liverpool to begin talks with Lyon over £60m Nabil Fekir transfer...
- 08:08 Meghan Markle officially joins the ‘Firm’ as she gets her own...
- 08:05 Matthew Bates accepts Hartlepool United will have to box clever in...
- 08:05 Seven ways to manage anxiety
- 08:05 Chinese restaurant syndrome: has MSG been unfairly demonised?
- 08:05 I feel too unattractive to have the sex life I dream about
- 08:03 Gang of youths attack two people in Barrow street
- 08:03 Ryanair reports soaring profits but warns of headwinds
- 08:02 Retired guide dog is ticking off everything on his bucket list...
- 07:57 Ebola outbreak: Experimental vaccinations to begin in DR Congo
- 07:57 Delays and cancellations on Northern trains
- 07:55 Just a week until Rothwell’s Proclamation Day
- 07:55 Chelsea’s rebuild: Hazard and Courtois to follow Conte out of the...
- 07:53 Vehicles must now pass tougher and updated MOT
- 07:53 Second day of travel chaos as four million trains rescheduled
- 07:52 ‘Shocked’ Blackpool nan finds pony in backyard
- 07:49 Super gonorrhea is infecting people worldwide and ‘could...
- 07:49 Man Utd star Phil Jones ‘needs a doctor’: Star slammed for display...
- 07:47 Premier Inn work to start this summer
- 07:46 Cast of the Customs House show Mt Uncle Freddie visit Beamish for...
- 07:43 Delays and cancellations on Northern trains
- 07:43 Work starts on £7.5million specialist dementia care home
- 07:41 Billboard Awards 2018: Ed Sheeran wins big and Avicii tributes
- 07:41 Help is out there for Sunderland dementia sufferers thanks to new...
- 07:40 Inga Maria Hauser murder: Two men arrested in Loughguile
- 07:40 Under-threat community hub raises nearly £30,000 in a month
- 07:40 A shot in the dark
- 07:40 Alarm at how services run increases yearly
- 07:40 Fire ravaged Ovenden Hotel to be demolished for housing development