Brexit: Minister hints at £1,000 fee for EU workers
Companies could be charged to hire skilled workers from the European Union after Brexit, Immigration Minister Robert Goodwill has suggested.
A £1,000 immigration "skills charge" is being brought in this April for firms recruiting workers from outside the EU.
Mr Goodwill told a Lords committee a similar levy for EU workers "may be something that has been suggested".
The Lib Dems said it would "kill off" businesses while one senior European politician said it was "shocking".
No 10 said the Home Office minister had made it clear that a number of options... read more
- 13:01 Who is standing for election in Misterton division?
- 13:00 Neil Taylor ban: Wales star handed two-match suspension for Seamus...
- 13:00 Man United injury news: These players will miss Manchester derby
- 12:59 Hungarian opposition struggles to build on anti-Orban sentiment
- 12:59 'Compassionate' people wanted for 40 care jobs to help people get...
- 12:59 Syrian refugees must buy travel papers - from Assad
- 12:58 Making efforts to break down the stigma around mental health means...
- 12:58 Who is standing for election in Retford East division?
- 12:58 Brass band looking for new home
- 12:58 Another £29k for 'youth zone'
- 12:57 Here’s the ‘I like Corbyn… but’ website Theresa May mentioned in PMQs
- 12:57 Home Office tells EU nationals not to apply for permanent UK residency
- 12:57 New bus depot café serves up a journey back in time
- 12:56 Man Utd ask James Rodriguez to do something unusual for transfer:...
- 12:56 HGV driver fined over tachograph
- 12:54 McDonald's offers all staff an end to zero-hours contracts
- 12:54 Liverpool 14-0 Establishment: How the Hillsborough Inquests verdict...
- 12:54 Nuns invade Tad restaurant
- 12:53 VIDEO: Heart-stopping moment driver-less car rolls into on-coming...
- 12:53 Worker injured in South Yorkshire factory raid
- 12:52 Spurs' boss Mauricio Pochettino reacts to Dele Alli Man City...
- 12:52 Gary Neville: This player should be Man United's next captain
- 12:51 Blurton death update: Paramedics found man, 63, unconscious at house
- 12:51 Charity Wellingborough to Rushden barrow push raises £600
- 12:51 Stoke City news and transfer rumours LIVE: Hughes backing, skipper...
- 12:50 Hummus crisis? What hummus crisis?
- 12:50 Worker injured in South Yorkshire factory raid
- 12:50 Nuns invade Tad restaurant
- 12:48 East Kilbride keeper gets his wish as he faces old club Buckie in...
- 12:48 British American says 2017 trading in line with expectations