Brexit Marmite shortage 'is only the start'
Tesco’s decision to remove Marmite and other top brands from its stores may be only the start, it has been claimed.
The row between Tesco and grocery giant Unilever shows how Brexit could lead to higher food prices for British consumers, said MP Steve McCabe (Lab Birmingham Selly Oak).
It’s a result of the British Pound Sterling currency falling in value after the Brexit vote.
A weak Pound means goods imported into the UK effectively become more expensive. Shops then have a choice between accepting a cut in their profits or passing the extra cost on to the public by putting up prices.
Read... read more
- 04:11 The UK Christmas retail winners and losers
- 04:11 Tough Christmas for retailers as shoppers feel the squeeze
- 03:53 OPINION: Rowett’s departure was a Rams’ first for many years
- 03:47 'In tears': Irish expats in Australia celebrate after long-distance...
- 03:33 North Korea-US summit on track, says Moon, after candid talks with...
- 03:16 Famous Russian painting of Ivan the Terrible 'seriously damaged' in...
- 03:00 Top 10 places for nightlife in Austin
- 02:55 Coronation Street wild child Alex Bain, 16, is bombarded with abuse...
- 02:55 Orlando Bloom and Katy Perry exit romantic London dinner date as...
- 02:55 EastEnders SPOILER: Distraught Carmel Kazemi comes face-to-face...
- 02:55 George Michael's ex joins bitter battle for a slice of singer's...
- 02:55 Jonny Wilkinson to become a dad for the first time as he reveals...
- 02:55 Paloma Faith debuts her new mustard tresses as she sparkles in...
- 02:52 In pictures: 'Spectacular' lightning strikes parts of UK
- 02:38 ‘Look at what we’re doing’: Grayling comes out fighting on Northern...
- 02:35 First colleges to teach new vocational T-levels to be named
- 02:27 Tomorrow's cities: Google's Toronto city built 'from the internet up'
- 02:10 Last-wicket defiance was not enough
- 01:58 Child support debts: record number of parents prevented from...
- 01:58 Egypt blocks YouTube over film denigrating prophet Muhammad
- 01:56 A troublesome resident has been jailed after he breached an...
- 01:54 How convenience stores are surviving the retail storm
- 01:50 National Australia Bank says it will compensate customers for...
- 01:47 How Merlin star Colin Morgan is returning to his Irish roots
- 01:44 The blame game: Getting divorced in the UK
- 01:27 Busking joins cashless society as musicians start using card readers
- 01:27 England could get new national parks as Gove launches review
- 01:17 Takata airbag recall: ACCC adds another 1.1 million vehicles to list
- 01:17 Anthony Martial opens talks with Manchester United over a new contract
- 01:11 Scottish Affairs Committee criticises RBS bank closures