Brexit doom-mongers have egg on face as economy continues to strengthen
The FTSE 100, which measures the UK’s top publicly-listed companies, hit a record high of 7,560.35 yesterday, up 5.03 points on the day.
The previous high was 7,556.24 just three weeks ago on October 12.
The stock market has been boosted by a weakened pound, helping exports and encouraging tourism, and the recent increase in the interest rate by the Bank of England.
BoE governor Mark Carney recently pushed up the bank base rate from 0.25 per cent to 0.5 per cent on Thursday.
Helped by a weaker pound the service sector, which includes tourism, has been growing rapidly over the last six... read more
- 22:02 Romanian film about fear of sexual intimacy wins Golden Bear at...
- 22:00 Mansfield teen’s car vandalism spree
- 22:00 Mum ransacked handbag in Mansfield nightclub
- 21:57 The big freeze is coming to UK and it could ‘feel colder than...
- 21:56 Lionel Messi: Barcelona star breaks two records against Girona,...
- 21:54 Labour alliance piles pressure on Corbyn over Brexit stance
- 21:50 Barcelona 6-1 Girona: Luis Suarez scores hat-trick while Lionel...
- 21:50 Only use A&E in an emergency, plead health trust bosses
- 21:43 As Corbyn shifts Labour towards soft Brexit, Tory jitters grow
- 21:40 Gary Neville responds to claims Marcus Rashford should consider...
- 21:39 Six Nations 2018: How England head coach Eddie Jones was outsmarted...
- 21:37 'Game over' - Analysis from yet another Birmingham City horror show
- 21:37 The tide is turning - West Brom analysis as Alan Pardew's side edge...
- 21:36 Pub offers 25% discount to customers who hand in mobile phones at door
- 21:36 Bassetlaw drink driver crashed into railings in Mansfield
- 21:36 Mum ransacked handbag in Mansfield nightclub
- 21:26 Teachers ‘£5,000 a year worse off under Tories’
- 21:26 Flowers, drinks and a dog: vice-chancellors claimed £8m in expenses...
- 21:26 Revealed: British university vice-chancellors’ five-star expenses
- 21:25 Women’s rights activist: ‘I was harassed working at UN aid agency’
- 21:21 Catwoman writer calls movie 'sh** and shameful' in Black Panther...
- 21:18 Ex soldier’s arrest for wrapping belt around hand in Mansfield fracas
- 21:16 Is Chester's Andrew Brady dating Love Island host Caroline Flack?
- 21:15 Review: Morrissey, Metro Radio Arena, Newcastle
- 21:15 Sunderland boss delivers verdict on controversial decisions in...
- 21:11 Could IVANKA broker peace with North Korea? Controversial Kim...
- 21:09 Camden Roundhouse evacuated due to ’emergency’ during AMP Sounds Party
- 21:09 Watford star Abdoulaye Doucoure welcomes interest from Arsenal...
- 21:08 Ex soldier’s arrest for wrapping belt around hand in Mansfield fracas
- 21:07 Patrice Evra abused by Liverpool fans at Anfield as chants of...