Brexit critic LSE professor appointed to the Bank of England's interest rate setting committee
London School of Economics (LSE) Professor Silvana Tenreyro has been appointed as the latest member of the Bank of England's Monetary Policy Committee.
Professor Tenreyro will join the Bank as an external MPC member and will be eligible to cast an interest rates vote during the committee's meeting in August.
Tenreyro replaces outgoing member Kristin Forbes, who will step down from the MPC at the end of this month.
Forbes was one of three policymakers on the MPC who voted last week to raise interest rates from the record low of 0.25 per cent, but three policymakers called for a rise amid... read more
- 12:24 How next week’s cold weather could affect your mobile phone
- 12:23 Mercedes chief reveals why Lewis Hamilton and Valtteri Bottas could...
- 12:23 Roger Federer: Dubai Tennis Championship appearance in doubt as...
- 12:23 Pendle in bid to breakaway from Lancashire County Council
- 12:23 Victims of bungling robber speak of their ordeal
- 12:23 Time for a little horse therapy
- 12:23 Spurned teen armed himself with bat and went to attack love rival
- 12:23 Arsenal to take on AC Milan in last-16 of Europa League
- 12:22 Leaders defend decision to increase council tax again in Hartlepool
- 12:22 Yorkshire hotel named one of Britain's most romantic
- 12:21 Councillors feel CCTV is solution to concerns over youth shelter
- 12:21 Prison recycling scheme to help homeless people
- 12:21 Blackpool pub to re-open after council purchase
- 12:21 Club rallies to help war memorial repair
- 12:21 From dental nurse to electrician, there are plenty of jobs...
- 12:21 Stephen Fry recovering from prostate cancer surgery
- 12:21 Village school celebrates reaching gold standard
- 12:21 Film Of The Week Cold comfort farm
- 12:21 'I am sorry I love you all' Heartbreaking final message from young...
- 12:20 Argos jewellery experts coming to Birmingham to help Mother's Day...
- 12:20 West Brom team news update includes the latest on Kieran Gibbs,...
- 12:20 Why changes are coming to Birmingham City's summer transfer...
- 12:20 Grantham Museum to lose its famous bouncing bomb exhibit
- 12:20 Pendle in bid to breakaway from Lancashire County Council
- 12:20 I am struggling with dating since leaving a conservative religion
- 12:20 Gritters are prepared for cold snap
- 12:20 A tea towel and cash among the things stolen from Carlisle home
- 12:20 Watch mass brawl break out at Headingley bar
- 12:19 What happens to your baby in the first hour of their life?
- 12:19 Time to nominate for Community Star Award