Brexit challenged in High Court case
Invoking Article 50 without Commons vote illegal lawsuit claims
PRIME MINISTER Theresa May was yesterday accused in the High Court of attempting to kick-start Brexit proceedings without having prior authorisation of Parliament.
Remain campaigners have lodged a judicial review against plans to invoke Article 50 with the claim that she would be unlawfully using ancient executive powers under the royal prerogative.
Lord Pannick QC argued Ms May must get permission from Parliament before triggering the Brexit process by the end of next March because it’s “entirely a matter for Parliament.”
He... read more
- 11:33 Disney World now serves the millennial pink cocktail of your dreams
- 11:33 Quarterly survey’s good start
- 11:32 Leeds man hurt after lorry and motorcycle collide on A61 Harewood
- 11:32 Weather: Leeds set to bask in weekend sunshine as heatwave continues
- 11:32 Arsenal make informal contact with Luis Enrique to succeed...
- 11:31 Distressed mum calls for action to improve lane
- 11:30 Sunderland student blogger tests social media with trick Instagram...
- 11:30 Northants County Council’s £2.5m redundancy payouts in past year
- 11:29 Watch: Driver inches from hitting woman and child as he flees...
- 11:29 Leeds man hurt after lorry and motorcycle collide on A61 Harewood
- 11:29 Ulverston musician Jess Gillam to play at Last Night of The Proms
- 11:28 Quarterly survey’s good start
- 11:28 Very colourful way to learn
- 11:27 Kettering woman cleared of sexual assault on boy
- 11:27 Northants County Council’s £2.5m redundancy payouts in past year
- 11:27 Paul O’Grady pays tribute to ‘Mr Showbiz’ Dale Winton and dishes on...
- 11:26 Walter Moody: Alabama executes 83-year-old
- 11:26 Three arrested following ram raid on Co-op in Long Bennington and...
- 11:25 Lorry fire at Sainsbury's roundabout in Chester causing heavy traffic
- 11:24 Eden Project boss confirms plans for “world class” experience in...
- 11:24 ELDC calls on Lloyds Bank to reconsider its decision to withdraw...
- 11:24 Man denies murdering wife at family home in Halifax
- 11:24 Lincolnshire Police officer hits headlines after posting racy...
- 11:24 Lani Blair breaks silence amid Tristan Thompson ‘cheating’ scandal...
- 11:23 From 'very heated moments' with Sir Alex Ferguson to war of words...
- 11:23 Arsene Wenger to leave Arsenal: The changing face of Gunners'...
- 11:23 Caring students in charity boost
- 11:23 Arsene Wenger will be remembered at Arsenal as a manager who...
- 11:23 Dream place at sport acdaemy
- 11:23 Global coup lands Kate a double first