BREAKTHROUGH: The heart drug which could fight dementia and Parkinson's disease
They say rolofylline may slow down the spread of dementia affecting more than 850,000 people in Britain alone.
The drug was taken out of manufacture after doubts were cast over its effectiveness for treating acute heart and kidney disease.
Now researchers from the Centre for Neurodegenerative Diseases in Bonn, Germany, have discovered it may prevent memory loss diseases or neurological diseases such as Parkinson's.
Dr Frank Dennissen said his team’s work found evidence the drug could increase the activity of brain cells.
“We hypothesise that rolofylline could be used as a treatment by... read more
- 16:25 Where are the best record shops?
- 16:25 Police appeal to trace wanted man
- 16:24 Access to European security databases post Brexit is 'mission...
- 16:24 Svetlana Kuznetsova closes in on last-four at WTA Finals with...
- 16:24 Usain Bolt completed the 'triple treble' at the Rio Olympics... but...
- 16:23 Search is on for prom queen
- 16:22 Six men arrested after break-in at Hull's Leisure Build caravans
- 16:22 Police probe possible sighting of missing Edinburgh student Antoine...
- 16:21 EU states agree caps on wholesale roaming charges
- 16:20 This picture shows the main suspect in a sexual assault in...
- 16:19 Access to European security databases post Brexit is 'mission...
- 16:18 E.ON taking on 100 apprentices - with many in Nottingham
- 16:18 Urgent appeal for public to act as models
- 16:18 Vitor Pereira: All you need to know about Wolves managerial target
- 16:18 Bulwell's 'David Beckham' to appear in Channel 5 documentary
- 16:18 We see if Byron at New Street can take the burger crown for Birmingham
- 16:18 Father who force-fed his son to death cannot be named
- 16:18 The taste of success! New children’s menu a hit at Boston’s Pilgrim...
- 16:18 Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG: Merc's 604bhp super-saloon
- 16:18 Jet2.com adds extra seats to more than 15 destinations from East...
- 16:17 Accident closes one lane of M6 between junction 14 and Stafford...
- 16:17 Why these frustrated Sharow parents want to build a car park
- 16:17 UK weather: Up to 120 days of snow to blast Britain in coldest...
- 16:17 Halloween highlights in the Harrogate District
- 16:17 Carlos Alberto death: Brazil legend is laid to rest in Rio de...
- 16:17 Rock Up and Sing! choir set to perform gigs in Budapest
- 16:17 Column – Transport Talk with Don Mackenzie
- 16:17 The unfair secrets behind celebrity fitness DVDs
- 16:16 Manchester United star Zlatan Ibrahimovic aiming to be the boss of...
- 16:16 Brother of Manchester United star Luke Shaw denies calling Jose...