‘Breakthrough’ in identifying cause of fleshing-eating Alabama rot deadly to dogs
A vet believes she has made a potential breakthrough in identifying the cause of the deadly Alabama rot which has plagued the UK.
Hundreds of dogs across the country have died because of the flesh eating disease that causes kidney failure and horrific lesions.
70 to 80% of all cases are fatal and there is no known effective treatment.
But now vet Fiona Macdonald suggests there may be a link between Alabama rot and a bacteria found in fish that causes similar symptoms.
Dr Macdonald, who runs a fish treatment centre which develops and supplies professional medicines for fish, said: ‘A friend... read more
- 09:23 A1 in North Yorkshire expected to be closed all day after lorry and...
- 09:23 Harry Kane named as England captain for World Cup
- 09:23 Cup winners Sutton Rovers go one better against Louth Old Boys Reds
- 09:22 Jennings Gym hoping for first national amateur champion
- 09:22 Magpies stalwart Adam Roscoe is sad to be leaving
- 09:22 Harry Kane will skipper England in World Cup finals
- 09:22 Croston climb into top spot as Eccleston stumble
- 09:22 Matt Jansen: Walker exit was my hardest call
- 09:21 Kenilworth Scout group inviting old members to join 75th...
- 09:20 Vet’s pole dancing routine with her dog deemed too racy for local...
- 09:19 Fox and Hounds back open as a pub after 13 years
- 09:19 Goldsborough’s Fox and Hounds back open as country pub
- 09:18 Maurizio Sarri’s representative breaks silence on ‘offer’ from Chelsea
- 09:18 Fun Run: Lancashire charity helping bereaved parents raises £8,000
- 09:17 Renew says work on Palace of Westminster is progressing well
- 09:16 Dog becomes adopted parent to nine ducklings
- 09:15 Gianluigi Donnarumma to Liverpool: ‘£35m plus player’ bid lined up...
- 09:15 Unai Emery: New Arsenal manager branded Man Utd boss Jose Mourinho...
- 09:12 Lane blockage and double lorry smash on motorway
- 09:12 Trekkers have a mountain to climb to help children's hospice charity
- 09:12 Home affairs boss accused of 'cover up' in Peter Dutton au pair case
- 09:11 Body found in search for missing Doncaster man
- 09:10 St Mary’s Church hosting children’s workshop during Warwick Festival
- 09:10 Why is the bee a symbol of Manchester?
- 09:10 Departing Kenilworth mayor presents cheques to charities
- 09:09 Harry Kane confirmed as England’s captain for the World Cup
- 09:08 Tesco to remove 'confusing' best-before labels from fruit and...
- 09:07 Princess Beatrice looks surprised among floral-printed bouncers
- 09:07 Peaky Blinders writer reveals the Birmingham City star he'd most...
- 09:07 Where you’re from will determine what university course you’re...