Breakthrough drug which DOUBLES the survival time for people with deadly melanoma is approved for use on the NHS
A breakthrough drug which uses a man-made virus to treat advanced skin cancer has been approved for use on the NHS.
The new medicine, which doubles average survival time for people with inoperable melanoma, is to be provided to patients in England for whom other drugs do not work, after NHS watchdog NICE recommended it for immediate use.
The therapy, called T-VEC, works by infecting and killing cancer cells with a genetically-modified form of the herpes virus.
The drug also harnesses the power of the body’s own immune system and directs it against tumours.
Remarkably, it does this without... read more
- 17:03 Ex-Putin adviser's death in Washington hotel an 'accident'
- 17:03 Chelsea line up Javier Pastore transfer bid for January
- 17:02 This woman matches her children to their pets for Halloween
- 17:02 Hundreds of fake Viagra tablets seized during police raid
- 17:02 Delays on West Yorkshire motorway after collision
- 17:02 TRAFFIC NEWS: Derbyshire roadworks for the week ahead
- 17:01 West Yorkshire figures show stop and search use falling
- 17:00 Police appeal for witnesses following 'hit and run' incident
- 17:00 Carers looking after vulnerable people in Northamptonshire urged to...
- 16:59 Jose Mourinho reveals all on meeting Man United players had...
- 16:59 Arsene Wenger makes huge gaffe at Arsenal press conference: Boss...
- 16:59 Eddie Alvarez: I'm going to rip Conor McGregor's heart out at UFC 205
- 16:59 'Violent shoplifter' arrested at Primark in Hull city centre
- 16:59 West Yorkshire figures show stop and search use falling
- 16:59 Black people THREE TIMES more likely to be stopped and searched by...
- 16:59 U.N. chief warns quitting war crimes court sends wrong message
- 16:58 West Yorkshire figures show stop and search use falling
- 16:58 Halloween treats: Handy recipes for parties and trick or treaters
- 16:57 Man’s exchange with Sainsbury’s Twitter account turns into...
- 16:53 Mollie King flaunts her toned pins and killer curves in...
- 16:55 Council launches budget consultation in the face of cutbacks
- 16:53 'We are all very excited!' Alex Gerrard reveals she is expecting...
- 16:53 Lindsay Lohan dresses to the nines in flowing floral maxi dress as...
- 16:53 'He will blame himself': The Walking Dead's Steven Yeun says fans...
- 16:53 'It was my idea...it kept me distracted from the pain!' Ayda Field...
- 16:54 2017 BMW 5 Series details revealed – and prototype driven)
- 16:54 Man launched unprovoked attack on friend
- 16:53 Oo la bra! Bella Hadid flashes her lingerie in a sheer black top...
- 16:53 X Factor lovebirds Emily Middlemas and Ryan Lawrie stay at each...
- 16:53 Long-awaited repair works to busted bridge in Northamptonshire will...