Bravery award for firefighter who saved girl from drowning in Cumbria
The 'exceptional bravery' of a retained firefighter in rescuing a drowning girl from a river has been recognised with a high-ranking award.
Geoff Maxwell was presented with the St Andrew's medal for an exceptional act of bravery for his actions as tragedy struck in Longtown.
The Langholm joiner, who received a commendation from Cumbria Constabulary for the rescue in June last year, also received the Brave@Hearts medal from Scotland's first minister, Nicola Sturgeon.
He was working on a house next to the River Esk when he was called to the river by frantic shouts and saw a young girl and her... read more
- 13:11 Regional operation catches 15 motorists on mobile phones
- 13:11 Spotted: Injured Man United trio snapped arriving at Carrington...
- 13:11 How Britain's wheelchair tennis players are 'breaking glass ceilings'
- 13:10 Police chiefs hoping for 'family atmosphere' at local derby
- 13:10 Is this absolute sitter the worst miss EVER in world football - or...
- 13:09 Coventry City vs Oxford United: How to get to Wembley, pubs to...
- 13:09 Severn Stars 44 – 65 Wasps Netball
- 13:07 Police chiefs hoping for 'family atmosphere' at local derby
- 13:07 Boston United extends lease at York Street stadium
- 13:06 Could Jaguar Land Rover buy Vauxhall?
- 13:06 Coventry City at Wembley: song writers tip Sky Blues to win 3-1 as...
- 13:06 Westminster terror attack vigil to be held at Coventry Cathedral
- 13:06 6 Music Festival reviews: Goldfrapp/Sparks, Cate Le Bon and the...
- 13:05 £70 million Pride Park scheme that could create 3,300 jobs to be...
- 13:05 Weeping Window poppies in Derby: how city's police paid a heavy war...
- 13:05 Chinese tech giant Tencent takes 5 percent stake in Tesla
- 13:04 Stamford’s Mid-Lent Fair gets underway
- 13:04 Conor McGregor and Floyd Mayweather fight agreement is done, says...
- 13:03 Lab worker Paul saves nurse’s life at Leeds hospital
- 13:02 One week on - Birmingham will remember the Westminster attack
- 13:02 Listed: treatments the NHS wants to stop giving on prescription
- 13:02 Police issue appeal after attempted robbery at a Tamworth petrol...
- 13:02 Grantham KGGS class of ’68 to reunite in the town
- 13:02 More than 400 jobs to be created in total as part of British Steel...
- 13:01 26 fake babies created by conman in shocking £34,000 benefits scam
- 13:00 Exposed files on Microsoft's document-sharing site
- 12:59 Neymar again calls for Barcelona to sign Liverpool star Philippe...
- 12:59 ‘Overworked’ Dumfries High teacher falsified pupils’ results
- 12:59 Coca-Cola probe launched after human waste found in drinks cans
- 12:58 Is this the best job on the planet? Blogger will be paid £24k to...