Brakes put on university's bid to close Jewellery Quarter street
A university's plan to fence off a Jewellery Quarter street for students has stalled following a split vote by city councillors - despite working with the authority for three years on the project.
University College Birmingham (UCB) wants to turn Holland Street into a branded 'Skill Street' and close it off with gates during weekdays in term time.
But Gareth Moore, a member of the city council's planning committee, said it was "not a skills street and more a skills cage", questioning whether such a move was necessary to protect the students, some of whom are as young as 14.
Coun... read more
- 13:34 Superstar DJs: the best playlists curated by musicians
- 13:33 How long has Arsene Wenger been at Arsenal and how long was Sir...
- 13:33 VIDEO: Heroic Stratford mum Rachael honoured
- 13:33 Britrock tour comes to Birmingham
- 13:32 Sunderland v Burton Albion is not the only result Nigel Clough will...
- 13:32 Police on the hunt after woman was sexually assaulted in Preston
- 13:31 Bid for 325 new homes in Wigan moves a step closer
- 13:31 Shock at sudden death of popular ex-Wigan vicar
- 13:31 Turns out that caring about the environment makes you more attractive
- 13:29 SNP axes key oil and gas industry measure
- 13:28 Chester-born Daniel Craig to be a father again at 50
- 13:28 Are you ready to rock?
- 13:28 Record Store Day: where to celebrate and pick up exclusive vinyl...
- 13:27 Passengers angry after new Melton bus service cuts announced
- 13:27 County councillor backs verge plan
- 13:27 Watch dangerous driver race through streets of Rugby
- 13:26 From seagulls to Bardot tops: this week’s fashion trends
- 13:26 What I wore this week: the new day dress
- 13:25 City Tastes & Tipples: Quality Qubana is banking on a bright future
- 13:25 Man sought by Cumbria Police in connection with arson attack on car
- 13:24 City Tastes & Tipples: Quality Qubana is banking on a bright future
- 13:23 VIDEO: CCTV footage shows group steal two motorbikes
- 13:22 PSG 'suspicious' of star man Neymar planning summer exit with Real...
- 13:22 Premier League's quickest players revealed... Mo Salah only ranks...
- 13:22 Man arrested over stabbing in Sheffield house
- 13:20 This many motorists think that breaking the speed limits is acceptable
- 13:20 Fylde coast woman in ‘constant discomfort’ Commons hears during...
- 13:18 American Apparel returns as an 'inclusive' online retailer
- 13:17 Co-op praises police for work in jailing ATM explosion gang who...
- 13:16 Friends make plans for gala celebrations