Brains are being grown OUTSIDE the human body: Recipe for creating miniature 'organs in a jar' is revealed
From what makes us right or left-handed to why we develop autism, there are many mysteries about the human brain we are yet to solve.
Some of these questions can be answered by studying the brains of other animals like mice, for example.
But this isn't possible for other phenomena that are unique to human brains.
Researchers are now growing hundreds of tiny human brains in labs, in an attempt to understand what gives us unique disorders like autism and schizophrenia - and the method they use to create these brains is surprisingly simple.
WHAT ARE ORGANOIDS? 'Organoids', three to four... read more
- 19:14 Tony Xia and Aston Villa's financial worries: The latest details to...
- 19:14 Indigenous group hid more than $2m in payments from Adani mining giant
- 19:14 Brazilian teenager dies after police helicopter strafes favela
- 19:13 'Murder cops found weapon in my bin' - Hull man's shock as police...
- 19:13 BBC weather presenter Keeley Donovan is getting married on Friday -...
- 19:12 Questions hang over Nato stability as summit draws closer
- 19:07 Festival-goer's apology after 'getting into tangle' at Parklife
- 19:05 Preston new boy Andrew Hughes is praised by Peterborough boss
- 19:03 Lewis Hamilton hoping for World Cup boost before French Grand Prix
- 19:03 Father found guilty of violently shaking baby son goes on the run...
- 19:03 Time to call a halt to the outsourcing racket
- 18:59 Councillor calls on PCC to address rise in 'urban crime' in...
- 18:55 Pathologist gives evidence at Northumberland shallow grave murder...
- 18:52 'Wolf pack' jailed for sex attack released by Spanish court
- 18:49 Scarborough woman's race across the Atlantic Ocean
- 18:48 Police appeal after man sold drill that was bag of water bottles
- 18:47 'Idiot' thieves who stole defibrillator from Leicester service...
- 18:46 Gagging clauses cost House of Commons £2.4m in five years
- 18:42 Pamplona court to release sexual abuse gang on bail
- 18:42 Dramatic photos show what happens to our bodies after a week of...
- 18:42 Life saving blood donations happening in Barrow
- 18:39 West Ham ‘offer Jean Michael Seri five-year deal’: £35m Nice talks...
- 18:37 Take a look around this fabulous country house with six bedrooms...
- 18:37 Donald Trump says Kim Jong-un has blown up four North Korea nuclear...
- 18:36 Police 'feared poison' in Mayfair street death
- 18:36 HIV-infected doctor potentially put Chesterfield patients at risk
- 18:36 Priest slaps baby across cheek during baptism because he won't stop...
- 18:35 Heineken takes minority stake in UK's Beavertown Brewery
- 18:34 'Closed shops and drug zombies in Hull are just a blip' say Labour...
- 18:34 Updates as serious crash closes East Yorkshire road in both directions