Brain training games help to prevent dementia in people at high risk of the disease - and improve their mood
Computer brain training might be able to prevent dementia in people at high risk of the disease, a study suggests.
Brain training involves adults playing video games that are designed to exercise the brain.
Researchers found the games benefited adults with 'mild cognitive impairment' – declines in memory and other mental abilities.
This group have a 1 in 10 risk of getting dementia within a year.
But once dementia had set in, the brain training apps had no effect, the researchers said.
Scientists at the University of Sydney reviewed 20 years of studies into brain training.
They showed the... read more
- 19:39 After Stockport County loss, Morrell admits: 'We need some crazy...
- 19:37 LOTTO RESULTS: Winning National Lottery numbers for Saturday March...
- 19:36 Sylhet blasts kill four amid Bangladesh militant raid
- 19:35 Congo bloodbath as 42 cops beheaded after being ambushed by militias
- 19:35 Future of ferry remains all at sea
- 19:32 Last-gasp Sam Jones try puts RGC into WRU National Cup Final
- 19:31 FBI and NSA experts warn: US has to learn from UK and MUST counter...
- 19:30 Iran denies harassing U.S. warships in Gulf, warns of clashes
- 19:30 Manchester United tickets: A complete guide on how to attend the...
- 19:25 Ten arrested during Edinburgh fascist rally
- 19:21 Former Anfield favourite makes Philippe Coutinho prediction:...
- 19:21 Stockport County 2 Tamworth 1 : Former Lamb Lloyd haunts his old club
- 19:18 Death of Khyra Ishaq - recommendations from the Serious Case Review
- 19:15 Strictly Come Dancing comes to Burton as Russell Roof Tiles raise...
- 19:10 Grimsby Town striker Scott Vernon out for two weeks after head...
- 19:08 Eden Hazard informs friends he’s staying at Chelsea next season
- 19:08 Chelsea hold talks with Bundesliga club over striker transfer
- 19:07 Mark Robins faces nervous wait on Kwame Thomas and Jordan Willis...
- 19:06 Brilliant Town put dent in Banbury’s play-off hopes
- 19:06 Jockey Jacob seals winning double at Stratford
- 19:06 When do the clocks go forward in 2017?
- 19:06 The ECHO takes a look at the history of the EMR site following last...
- 19:06 Streets of hope: Granby's good news story keeps evolving
- 19:01 Chelsea's Dominic Solanke subject of interest from RB Leipzig as...
- 18:58 Last-gasp heartbreak for Gainsborough Trinity as Pilgrims and...
- 18:58 Lithuania boss Edgaras Jankauskas eyes England shock: 'Iceland...
- 18:57 Brigg Road closed after accident
- 18:52 How your bank balance could be better or worse off from April 1
- 18:52 Four police cars 'block off part of Anlaby Road' following crash
- 18:50 Woman jailed for dragging man down street with her car following...