Brain training games help to prevent dementia in people at high risk of the disease - and improve their mood
Computer brain training might be able to prevent dementia in people at high risk of the disease, a study suggests.
Brain training involves adults playing video games that are designed to exercise the brain.
Researchers found the games benefited adults with 'mild cognitive impairment' – declines in memory and other mental abilities.
This group have a 1 in 10 risk of getting dementia within a year.
But once dementia had set in, the brain training apps had no effect, the researchers said.
Scientists at the University of Sydney reviewed 20 years of studies into brain training.
They showed the... read more
- 14:02 Britain’s best takeaway is a fried chicken shop in Luton
- 14:01 Staffordshire Police rated 'good' following inspection by HMIC
- 14:01 QMC issues second 'black alert' of winter following 'unprecedented'...
- 13:58 Watch moment callous thief stole Poppy Appeal tin from Loughborough...
- 13:57 MP moves colleagues to tears after revealing she was raped at 14
- 13:56 Wild child Kendall Jenner turns heads in leopard print fur coat and...
- 13:56 Did Amanda Seyfried just confirm she's having a boy? Pregnant...
- 13:56 'He's happy to see me unhappy': Dermot O'Leary reveals he clashed...
- 13:56 100 Women 2016: Russia's female role models across the divide
- 13:56 Over 400 claims of police abusing power for sexual gain in two...
- 13:56 Warning over speeding ticket email scam
- 13:56 Make-up free Margot Robbie flaunts her slim pins in a boho...
- 13:56 Santa Paws 2016: Meet some of your festive friends
- 13:56 Sofia Vergara: US actress faces lawsuit 'from own embryos'
- 13:56 Middle class bread wars: Gail’s opens next to Le Pain Quotidien
- 13:55 Craig Kieswetter hoping to earn a place on golf's European Tour...
- 13:55 Warning over speeding ticket email scam
- 13:55 REVEALED: Arsenal are most likely to face nightmare draw against...
- 13:55 Song for Christmas: Police safety message top of the cops!
- 13:55 MP reveals she’s been raped in emotional speech to Parliament
- 13:55 Michelle Thomson’s rape survivor story moves MPs to tears
- 13:54 Child car seats recalled
- 13:53 Man dies after being hit by train in Whitwell
- 13:53 Phew! Mild weather on the cards for Staffordshire and Black Country
- 13:53 Striker urges Chelsea star to join him at Premier League rivals
- 13:53 Cheers! You can get a pint as you pop to this village post office
- 13:53 Premier League's worst value players: Who is costing their club the...
- 13:53 Bookies make Chelsea favourites to seal mega Premier League raid
- 13:52 Warning after cold call scam
- 13:52 Hubby who attacked wife over old flame is given a community order