Bowel cancer test which detects blood in faeces will cut numbers facing endoscopy
The test, which is being rolled out across the NHS looks for blood in the stool which experts say is an early symptom of bowel cancer.
Experts hope that if GPs use the faecal immunochemical test (FIT), the number of patients who can avoid an endoscopy could be cut by a third.
An endoscopy is the process by which a flexible tube with a light and camera is used to examine the digestive tract.
Studies have shown that between 60 per cent and 80 per cent of patients referred to hospital for endoscopy turn out not to have a serious bowel disease, including bowel cancer.
Dr Sjoerd Elias, from the... read more
- 14:07 UK engineering company GKN to sell Stromag unit to Altra for 184...
- 14:07 Mirfield councillors have hit out over proposals to build hundreds...
- 14:06 U.S. STOCK INDEX FUTURES EXTEND LOSSES, DOW JONES FUTURES AND S&P...
- 14:06 Gordon Anglesea GUILTY of sexually abusing boys
- 14:06 EXCLUSIVE 'I feel sorry for them': MIC's Louise Thompson reveals...
- 14:06 EXCLUSIVE: Pete Wicks' sexting partner Jacqui Ryland received DEATH...
- 14:06 This Sheffield bungalow has a guide price of £260,000 to £270,000
- 14:06 Dearne kids reconnect with nature through arts project
- 14:05 We’re backing the Grantham BID
- 14:04 Heather Wheeler: Variety of events in South Derbyshire never fails...
- 14:04 Childer Thornton £2m equine therapy centre to benefit people with...
- 14:04 Mirfield councillors have hit out over proposals to build hundreds...
- 14:03 Flammable fancy dress Hallowe’en warning is issued
- 14:03 Jus-Rol factory to be bought by bakery
- 14:03 Pools FA Cup clash switched
- 14:02 Gordon Anglesea: Former police chief guilty of child sex abuse
- 14:01 Carer who fought ISIS has restrictions lifted by police
- 14:01 Stock futures dip as investors assess earnings
- 14:01 Antonio Conte confirms major Chelsea boost: Key man fit to face...
- 14:01 Kevin de Bruyne questions Pep Guardiola's tactics after Barcelona loss
- 14:00 Rugby stars make up guard of honour for Anthony Foley funeral
- 13:59 Chelsea boss Antonio Conte basically confirms John Terry is ready...
- 13:58 Referee Howard Webb reveals former Coventry City striker Craig...
- 13:58 £52K upgrade to Featherstone gas distribution network
- 13:58 Half of British drivers set to hit the road for half-term
- 13:58 Shortlist announced for North East tourism awards
- 13:58 Muslim woman beaten up and threatened with death by family over...
- 13:57 Now KitKat prices may rise due to a weakening pound – cheers Brexit
- 13:56 Port Vale sign former Newcastle United, Hull City and Wigan player...
- 13:56 Firm slammed 'for wrongly stopping tax credit payments'