Bonkers: Our conkers are getting smaller - find out why and how we stop this
Experts in the North East are working to head off a conker crisis.
Since 2002, the number of horse chestnut trees affected by the leaf miner moth has increased significantly across the UK.
Its caterpillars mine within the leaves and destroy most of the tissues, turning the foliage brown and causing leaves fall prematurely. There can be hundreds of thousands of caterpillars in a single infested tree.
While the leaf miner caterpillar does not kill the tree, it weakens it and makes it vulnerable to other diseases, in particular bleeding canker, which can be fatal. It can also cause a... read more
- 16:33 Holbeach Bank FC shares the joy as £1,450 goes to charity
- 16:33 Major Fintech event to be held to bring ‘disrupters’ and mainstream...
- 16:33 Plans for new microbrewery, bar and cafe in Leeds approved
- 16:33 Could you help spread a little Christmas cheer? A farm is looking...
- 16:32 Simona Halep was too strong for Caroline Garcia in Singapore as the...
- 16:32 FAN VIEW: The majority of Evertonians are delighted Ronald Koeman’s...
- 16:32 Manchester City train in high spirits as Pep Guardiola's...
- 16:31 Family devastated after loss of Heysham man
- 16:30 Mother of Doncaster teen killed in horror crash pays tribute to...
- 16:30 Corrie Mckeague: Landfill search for missing airman resumes
- 16:29 Would you like to make a difference to children’s education?
- 16:28 Communities Secretary Sajid Javid says he was a victim of snobbery...
- 16:26 Awesome new solar-powered electric car REVEALED, but there is an issue
- 16:26 Aston Martin Vanquish Zagato Shooting Brake REVEALED in new pictures
- 16:25 Leahy books National Final spot following tough Parks encounter
- 16:24 Late firing times announced
- 16:24 Hundreds raised for local hospice following Heart of Ulverston Awards
- 16:24 Would you like to make a difference to children’s education?
- 16:23 YouTuber, 14, bursts into tears as she reveals school bullies told...
- 16:23 Rare red sprites in action: Dazzling footage shows mysterious...
- 16:23 Is this the key to treating PTSD? Scientists pinpoint fear in the...
- 16:21 Man accused of firearm offences appears in court
- 16:20 Fire safety warning to Sheffield students 'propping open doors to...
- 16:20 This new Lady Gaga waxwork will haunt your dreams
- 16:20 Families enjoy FanFest event at Sunderland’s Stadium of Light
- 16:20 Police appeal after woman sexually assaulted in Washington
- 16:20 Fleetwood takeaway shut down after police raid
- 16:19 Scandal-hit security firm G4S receives 'unprecedented levels' of...
- 16:19 Could CUCUMBERS lead to a cure for Alzheimer's? Breakthrough jab...
- 16:19 Joe Ledley keeps impressive Derby County statistic intact