Bogus emails offering tax refunds spark crackdown
Fraudsters have been blocked from a new scam sending out emails which appear to be from HM Revenue and Customs.
The scam duped victims into handing over their bank details by convincing them there were legitimate by using emails ending in gov.uk.
The Government has launched a major crackdown on the online criminals behind the scam after reports of several savers who were lured into handing over financial information.
Criminals had been sending fake emails from official-looking accounts.
Read More Speed camera fines hit £800k: Mail readers call for MORE to be installed
The emails invite... read more
- 11:27 Britain's hottest new baby name revealed as parents get political
- 11:27 Government willing to contribute to £31 million cost of fitting...
- 11:27 Thunderstorm warning issued for parts of Nottinghamshire
- 11:26 WEATHER ALERT: Rain warning issued for Notts
- 11:25 Take a trip back to the year you were born
- 11:25 Police appeal over VW Golf used in Walton drive-by shooting
- 11:25 Alvaro Morata enjoys post-honeymoon beach break as Manchester...
- 11:25 Old Blind School owners say Liverpool restaurant will reopen after...
- 11:25 U.S. Republican leaders work to buoy Senate healthcare bill
- 11:24 West Cumbrian criminal damage investigated by police
- 11:24 Elderly are up to speed with web
- 11:23 Trinity bosses offer to step down from trust to ensure £10m stadium...
- 11:23 Halifax child sex offender jailed for historic offences
- 11:22 Charger sparks blaze at Barrow home
- 11:22 Cannabis factories uncovered in Conwy as five arrested in drug...
- 11:21 Racially abusive man insulted and threatened emergency call handlers
- 11:21 Take a trip back to the year you were born
- 11:21 Pound v New Zealand dollar: GBP down against NZD despite narrowing...
- 11:21 Pound V euro: GBP uneasy against EUR ahead of Bank of England...
- 11:20 Residents of flagship Birmingham new centre tower block 'SAFE' from...
- 11:20 First pictures inside Manchester Arena surface as Prince Charles...
- 11:20 West Brom transfers: The latest on Jay Rodriguez
- 11:20 Traffic disruption in Spalding as water pipe bursts
- 11:20 Man in 'serious condition' after 20ft scaffolding fall in Chellaston
- 11:19 G20 watchdog says fintech doesn't pose threat to financial stability
- 11:19 London celebrity haunt The Ivy is opening on Temple Row in Birmingham
- 11:19 Remembrance Centre longlisted for RIBA Stirling Prize
- 11:19 Developers plan 800 new homes for Birmingham regeneration site
- 11:19 Heavy goods drivers suspended for mobile phone use
- 11:19 Reality Check: Your Brexit deal questions answered