BoE's Broadbent - won't risk economy to meet inflation target: BBC
Bank of England Deputy Governor Ben Broadbent said the central bank would not raise interest rates for the sake of meeting its 2 percent inflation target if it risked hurting the economy, in an interview published on Monday.
Broadbent said raising rates could lead to "undesirable consequences" such as lower economic growth and higher unemployment, BBC News quoted him as saying.
His comments were similar to those of Governor Mark Carney, who said on Friday he was willing to allow inflation to run "a bit" higher than the target to help the economy grow.
British inflation... read more
- 14:03 Boy, 15, arrested over murder of Sheffield teenager
- 14:02 MH17: Australia and Netherlands accuse Russia of complicity
- 14:01 Man Utd boss Jose Mourinho ‘crazy’ about Real Madrid ace and...
- 14:01 Champions League final: Wijnaldum makes Liverpool trophy claim...
- 14:01 The rise of the dog-napper
- 14:01 Parachute plot: The ex-girlfriend who walked away
- 14:00 Where to eat in June: New London restaurants you should check out
- 14:00 Project Update: Final element of retail park bid given green light
- 14:00 Nexus reveal Bank Holiday timetable changes for Metro services
- 13:59 Harvey Weinstein charged with rape and sex abuse against two women
- 13:57 Boy, 15, arrested over murder of Sheffield teenager
- 13:57 It could all be so simple … why did Lauryn Hill disappear?
- 13:57 Fans left with 'invalid' tickets in Ed Sheeran anti-tout scheme
- 13:57 School's sponsored silence raises £1k for vital charity
- 13:55 Kickboxing star who spars with Tyson Fury claims Gypsy King would...
- 13:54 School's sponsored silence raises £1k for vital charity
- 13:53 Bosses blame bad winter weather for delay in opening Sunderland's...
- 13:50 Lakeland Dialect Society to hold church service
- 13:49 Father's warning after daughter cuts her arm on broken glass on...
- 13:47 Ptich perfect boost for Preston youth football club
- 13:47 Emergency incident blocks all railway lines between Meadowhall and...
- 13:46 Saudi Arabia arrests key activist in human rights crackdown
- 13:46 Woman who posted Holocaust denial songs to YouTube convicted
- 13:46 Timely questions
- 13:46 Arts ahead
- 13:46 How £12,000 purchase has helped academics assemble world’s most...
- 13:46 Wellesbourne Ladies finish as region’s best in Super Sunday tournament
- 13:44 10 of the most luxurious boutique hotels in Yorkshire for a...
- 13:41 The four gadgets you need to protect your car: Motorists flock to...
- 13:40 Travellers cause devastation after trashing youth football club site