Body to be exhumed as secret Army unit investigated
The body of man of a man shot dead by the Army in 1972 is to be exhumed later as part of an investigation into the Military Reaction Force (MRF).
Daniel Rooney, 18, was shot in the St James Crescent area of west Belfast. He died shortly afterwards in hospital.
There was a chance a bullet would be found in the coffin, said a solicitor representing Mr Rooney's family.
Detectives from the Legacy Investigation Branch will exhume the body at Milltown cemetery later.
Two days have been set aside for the exhumation.
'They'd be shot' The MRF was an army unit operating in Belfast in the early... read more
- 09:31 Justin Thomas secures £1.26m PGA Tour prize after beating Marc...
- 09:30 Boy with Down’s Syndrome is the new star of River Island’s kids’ range
- 09:28 Charity night tickets selling
- 09:28 Responding to concerns
- 09:28 Derby County defender should have been sent off, says Sheffield...
- 09:26 Woman, 23, arrested as baby dies after fall from sixth-floor window
- 09:25 Fabian Delph makes a big prediction about Man City teammate Sergio...
- 09:21 5 houses in Hull which cost less than £55,000 and just need some TLC
- 09:21 Man trapped in serious crash which has closed the A165
- 09:20 Carlisle teenager named as one of world's best young poets
- 09:19 Poorly puppy owner tries to raise £3,000 for treatment
- 09:19 GALLERY; ‘Core’ blimey - apple event near Skegness attracts 850
- 09:18 PCSO whose heart stopped has emotional reunion with medics who...
- 09:18 North East news LIVE: Major delays on the Metro network due to...
- 09:18 Stephen Robinson: Grab your chance to beat Rangers and reach League...
- 09:16 Journey from pit to paint factory
- 09:16 Two lanes closed on M1 due to overturned van
- 09:16 27-year-old man is in intensive care after hit-and-run
- 09:11 Paul Robinson: Louth Cattle Market is part of a ‘complicated jigsaw’
- 09:11 Woman tracks down her missing cat after uploading its photo to Tinder
- 09:10 Away form is blighting Birmingham City - five things we learned...
- 09:08 No slide tackles and no shouting from sidelines - 12 new youth...
- 09:07 Italy referendums: Lombardy and Veneto vote on greater autonomy
- 09:06 Robin Hood’s Bay dance school backs Whitby charity WHISH nets £200
- 09:05 Crimewatch: The Coventry crimes that have featured over the last 33...
- 09:05 Tottenham vs Liverpool: No Firmino, Mane, Dier or Dembele in our...
- 09:05 Volvo Ocean Race: What is it? When is it? How do you win?
- 09:05 Arsenal news LIVE updates: Wenger on retiring, double injury boost,...
- 09:05 Ronald Koeman fears he will be SACKED today if Everton lose to Arsenal
- 09:04 Doncaster Citizen's advice bureau concerns over Universal Credit