Blue Origin successfully tests capsule safety, lands booster
A rocket owned by Jeff Bezos' space company Blue Origin blasted off from Texas on Wednesday and then landed itself intact, even though engineers had expected it to crash after an important demonstration of how its unmanned crew capsule could fly away from the rocket in an emergency.
The test, which concluded with the rocket's landing and the capsule parachuting safely to the desert floor, was an important step forward for Kent, Washington-based Blue Origin by showing the passenger capsule can escape from the rocket should something go wrong during launch.
Saving the capsule was the only... read more
- 00:01 George Freeman’s dismissal of anxiety is pig-ignorance and must be...
- 00:01 The Guardian view on George W Bush: a welcome return
- 00:01 The Guardian view on disability benefits: head versus heart
- 00:01 The Guardian view on management consultants: the trick is confidence
- 00:01 Article 50 day won't be cut-off date for EU migrants, No 10 suggests
- 00:01 Sir Gerald Kaufman obituary
- 00:01 Peter Hain: hard Brexit puts Northern Ireland peace process at risk
- 00:01 Gerald Kaufman’s stellar PMQs moment
- 00:01 Better election results ahead for the Green party?
- 00:01 EU urged to end cooperation with Sudan after refugees whipped and...
- 00:01 Don't threaten to cut intelligence ties in Brexit talks, UK warned
- 00:01 BBC orders investigation into claims of aggressive TV licence...
- 00:01 Tributes paid to 'iconic' Labour MP Sir Gerald Kaufman
- 00:01 DUP braced to lose seats in Northern Ireland assembly elections
- 00:01 Chairman of housing association behind 'substandard' development...
- 00:01 Deported woman's family say Amber Rudd lacks compassion
- 00:01 May adviser regrets saying benefits should only go to 'really...
- 00:01 NHS data loss: 500 patients may have suffered serious harm
- 00:01 John Major attacks government over approach to Brexit
- 00:01 Clive Lewis denies registering websites for Labour leadership bid
- 23:59 George Thomason obituary
- 23:59 PPE is a degree that looks forward, not back
- 23:59 10 things teachers want to say to parents, but can't
- 23:59 No grammar schools, lots of play: the secrets of Europe’s top...
- 23:59 Parents: not happy about something at school? Here’s how to complain
- 23:59 Top 10 podcasts to help you learn a language
- 23:59 What's the point of school uniform?
- 23:59 Michael Palin: geography students hold the key to the world's problems
- 23:59 Free speech on Israel under attack in universities
- 23:59 The Guardian view on vocational education: choice at 14 is not working