BLINDNESS EPIDEMIC: More than one MILLION people could lose their sight in coming decades
Researchers warn that unless urgent action is taken to fund medical research, the condition 'age-related macular degeneration' (AMD) could mean the numbers of those losing their sight spiral.
AMD is already the biggest cause of blindness in the UK, affecting more than 600,000 people.
But according to the new report published today, that figure is now expected to more than double by 2050 to 1.3million - equivalent to 400 new cases every day.
Cathy Yelf, chief executive of the Macular Society who conducted the research, said: "Unless strong action is taken right away we will be facing an... read more
- 16:10 This is when Beauty and the Beast Chip mugs will be back in Primark
- 16:10 Revealed: Ambitious bid to send Channel 4 to Coventry
- 16:10 Some 146 migrants feared dead after shipwreck, sole survivor says
- 16:10 Do you recognise these watches?
- 16:08 Fantasy Football Tips: The transfers you should make for Gameweek 30
- 16:07 RNLI figures show increase for Northumberland lifeboat crews
- 16:07 Knitted chicks set to boost funds
- 16:07 Everything you need to know ahead of May's local elections in...
- 16:07 New property firm Watsons Estate Agency opens in Kimberley
- 16:07 See New Year's Eve road menace take police on 100mph pursuit in...
- 16:07 The Whitehouse in Sawley is to close and re-open as a tapas...
- 16:07 School cuts: 'Education is in crisis. We’re being asked to do more,...
- 16:06 Lord Jordan encourages Claverdon School pupils to grasp opportunities
- 16:06 Call goes out for your funny pet photos
- 16:06 Suspicious incident reported in Radford Semele
- 16:06 Merseyrail reveals Grand National day plans for train services...
- 16:06 Analysis: Brexit letter brings change of tone from PM
- 16:06 VIDEO: Fire closes off part of Mansfield town centre
- 16:06 Nine new animal cruelty complaints EVERY DAY in Nottinghamshire
- 16:05 President Hollande ‘Brexit will be PAINFUL for the British’
- 16:05 Engineers repair Syria's Tabqa dam spillways after shelling
- 16:05 Park on the kerb or the grass verge? You could soon be fined for...
- 16:05 German parliament foiled cyber attack by hackers via Israeli website
- 16:05 Angry residents urge council to act immediately after travellers...
- 16:05 This is how Brexit will affect each Premier League club - including...
- 16:05 Why Ross McCormack's Aston Villa career might not be over - Villa...
- 16:05 Aston Villa: Neil Taylor was "nearly in tears" - Everton defender
- 16:04 Pride in Barrow roots to feature in debut author’s labour of love
- 16:04 Zlatan Ibrahimovic hints at extending Manchester United stay
- 16:04 Samsung Galaxy S8 hides home button and gains Bixby AI