BLINDNESS EPIDEMIC: More than one MILLION people could lose their sight in coming decades
Researchers warn that unless urgent action is taken to fund medical research, the condition 'age-related macular degeneration' (AMD) could mean the numbers of those losing their sight spiral.
AMD is already the biggest cause of blindness in the UK, affecting more than 600,000 people.
But according to the new report published today, that figure is now expected to more than double by 2050 to 1.3million - equivalent to 400 new cases every day.
Cathy Yelf, chief executive of the Macular Society who conducted the research, said: "Unless strong action is taken right away we will be facing an... read more
- 00:58 Kieran Powell recalled by West Indies after three-year hiatus ahead...
- 00:58 LaRoche Posay, Ole Henriksen and Origins: The best skin protecting...
- 00:54 MOTOR NEWS: UK is the second most CONGESTED country in the world
- 00:52 Islamic State linked group expands foothold in southern Syria near...
- 00:47 Atletico Madrid hoping to welcome back Jan Oblak to starting XI as...
- 00:46 Brazil's wheelchair tourism guru
- 00:37 EastEnders spoilers: Collapse horror ahead for Ian Beale
- 00:37 Long-winded speech an ‘early warning sign’ for Alzheimer’s
- 00:37 David Cassidy slurs his words, forgets lyrics, hits self with mic...
- 00:37 China Stocks-Factors to watch on Tuesday
- 00:36 Two arrested as Barrow police take proactive stance on community...
- 00:36 Roads to close for Barrow Island regeneration work
- 00:36 Long-winded speech could be early sign of Alzheimer's, says study
- 00:36 New voice for disabled consumers
- 00:36 MPs attack ministers' lack of action on gender pay gap
- 00:34 A610 roundabout is Nottingham's jams hotspot of the year
- 00:33 Grandparents 'saving working families billions in childcare costs'
- 00:33 City news: UK production, RBS, Bruce Carnegie-Brown and Interserve
- 00:33 Shares drop at battered Bovis Homes
- 00:31 Dan Carter loses sponsorship contract with Land Rover after failing...
- 00:27 New £4.5m Home Bargains superstore opening in Morecambe
- 00:24 Liverpool defender Dejan Lovren a doubt for Leicester trip as he...
- 00:24 Fabio Quagliarella ends six-year silence on Napoli exit after...
- 00:24 How drug development is speeding up in the cloud
- 00:24 New future for historic Leeds city centre building
- 00:24 Leeds council tax bills to go up by £70... but social housing rents...
- 00:23 Tom Hanks got wife Rita Wilson through breast cancer ordeal by...
- 00:22 Extremely British Muslims reveals secrets of the Birmingham mosque...
- 00:16 Album reviews with Will Stone
- 00:16 ‘I’ll never stop being a foot soldier of this music’