Blind guests fear for future of three specialist hotels sold by charity
The futures of the UK’s three remaining specialist hotels for the blind are in doubt, sparking fears that visually impaired people could be left isolated.
Action for Blind People is selling the Cliffden in Teignmouth, Devon; the Lauriston in Weston-super-Mare; and Windermere Manor, in the Lake District, because it can no longer justify the running costs.
The charity is hopeful that the hotels will stay open under new management, but critics of the sale believe that closure is more likely and that blind and partially sighted people will suffer.
David Haynes, 69, from South Milford,... read more
- 18:47 Boy dies and three others hurt in Rochdale field
- 18:43 Jailed Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe ‘to face new trial’
- 18:40 Neymar: PSG star hands Man City boss Pep Guardiola HUGE transfer boost
- 18:39 BMW PGA Championship: McIlroy bounces back with luck to keep a...
- 18:38 England face defeat despite Jos Buttler and Dom Bess heroics – 4...
- 18:38 Champions League final line-ups: Gareth Bale dropped for Real...
- 18:37 Will Smith's World Cup song Live It Up released for Russia 2018
- 18:35 The roadworks planned on South Yorkshire's motorways next week
- 18:31 Champions League Final FREE LIVE STREAM - How to watch Liverpool vs...
- 18:30 Train somehow gets lost in Yorkshire on way to Reading
- 18:29 Irish abortion referendum: Ireland overturns abortion ban
- 18:27 Ireland votes by landslide to legalise abortion
- 18:27 Romanised causes 25-1 shock in Irish 2,000 Guineas at Curragh
- 18:25 History made as Ireland votes to legalise abortion in...
- 18:22 Liverpool News: £96m La Liga raid eyed, Fekir deal ‘likely’, Reds...
- 18:21 Why Liverpool won’t be wearing their new kit against Real Madrid in...
- 18:17 Big Bang comp challenges pupils from West Cumbrian schools
- 18:17 Cash boost and award for Whitehaven organisation
- 18:17 Work begins on second phase of Sheffield road resurfacing programme
- 18:15 Champions League final: Liverpool fitness concern over Salah and...
- 18:15 Zero Degrees Festival in Louth will be bigger and better this year
- 18:10 Champions League final: Liverpool legend Graeme Souness SLAMS...
- 18:04 Harvey Weinstein: What next after first charges filed
- 18:02 Parents cry for joy as they find missing son after 24 years
- 18:00 Work begins on second phase of Sheffield road resurfacing programme
- 17:59 Work begins on second phase of Sheffield road resurfacing programme
- 17:58 NHS accolade for popular Wigan heart doctor
- 17:55 ‘Nightmare’ on Boston Road is worse than ever
- 17:53 Work begins on second phase of Sheffield road resurfacing programme
- 17:52 Champions League final: Why Tottenham prove Liverpool can beat Real...