Blesma Home closes doors on 67-year legacy
1 Have your say A care home for Blackpool’s bravest war veterans has closed its doors forever.
The last remaining residents of the Blesma Home have been moved out this week as the military charity prepares to draw the curtain on the service which has championed the rights of limbless ex-servicemen for almost 70 years.
Some 12 decorated Second World War veterans have been relocated to different care homes across the North West, while 30 members of staff have been made redundant.
Former Blesma resident and RAF veteran Harry Foster, 93, who lost an eye while navigating a night time air raid... read more
- 11:32 Southern strike is back on track
- 11:32 Anti-poverty group takes aim at CDC
- 11:32 Top judges wrap up Brexit hearing
- 11:32 Christmas comes early at South Tyneside’s newest visitor attraction
- 11:32 Justice secretary praises our campaign calling for tougher...
- 11:32 City centre Victorian church could be turned into bar or restaurant
- 11:32 Christmas message sent to supporters of policeman with cancer
- 11:32 Consultations to be held over closure of Wainfleet surgery
- 11:32 Police to contact MP Michelle Thomson over rape ordeal at 14
- 11:31 Web shoppers warned over Facebook Marketplace fraud
- 11:31 Coming together to share happy memories at Harrogate’s Light up a...
- 11:31 Louth man, 63, admits stealing cash from Jacksons Butchers
- 11:30 Greg Cunningham: exclusive PNE column
- 11:29 When Santa got stuck in the mineshaft
- 11:29 Tamworth ABC's Ryan Hatton is crowned national champion for the...
- 11:29 China: Xi calls for stricter ideological control of universities
- 11:29 MANNEQUIN CHALLENGE: Police and firefighters film video to...
- 11:29 Traffic alert: Long delays after crash on M62
- 11:28 Police cordon in place after man is stabbed near his Derbyshire home
- 11:29 Campaign to build bridge over ‘danger bypass’ after accident
- 11:28 Teenager arrested at Burton railway station and charged with...
- 11:28 Non-league football club's results expunged after resigning from...
- 11:28 Murali Vijay and Cheteshwar Pujara frustrate England's bowlers on...
- 11:28 Should drivers give way to cyclists when turning left?
- 11:28 Man injured after hit-and-run in Louth
- 11:28 Holidays are coming ... and so are your South Yorkshire Coca Cola...
- 11:27 West Brom have become an improved attacking force under Tony Pulis...
- 11:27 Man charged with phone possession in HMP Ranby
- 11:27 SCAM ALERT: Do not click on this email
- 11:27 EU launches new investigation into Chinese steel imports