Bitcoin's value has shot up 1,000% this year but experts fear the online currency - loved by crooks but now being bought by normal investors - is a bubble even madder than Tulip Fever
When a pernicious internet virus swept through 150 countries in May this year, it claimed at least 200,000 victims by infecting computers across the world.
Those targeted by the so-called ‘ransomware’ virus included French car plants, Chinese universities, Australian railways and, most worryingly for those in Britain, the NHS.
The targets of the biggest-ever hacking attack of its kind had one thing in common: the ransom they were asked to hand over in order to regain access to their computer systems had to be paid in a little-known form of electronic money called Bitcoin.
Each $300 payment... read more
- 15:10 Sheridan desperate for Fleetwood to end Highbury horror run against...
- 15:10 Search is on for lost north east memorials
- 15:10 In-form Fleetwood will have Cobblers boss Hasselbaink guessing
- 15:09 Changes to be made to bus stops and parking
- 15:09 FBI hunting for tattooed fugitive with DORK inked on his neck
- 15:08 Trophy success at double for cadets
- 15:08 Firm completes sale and leaseback deal
- 15:09 First World War hero George Peachment to be remembered in £8.5...
- 15:08 Thunder gets on board with Moody
- 15:08 Search is on for lost north east memorials
- 15:09 Magpie Recipe: Hake, wild mushroom, wild garlic & sherry cream
- 15:08 Prestigious award for franchisee
- 15:08 Training new generation of technologists
- 15:08 Two pharma companies collaborate
- 15:08 Containers given a new life on shore
- 15:07 Kirkby biker led cops on chase
- 15:07 Sutton man caught with drugs in motoring arrest
- 15:07 Thieves target ATM at Banbury Co-op 'with exploding foam'
- 15:07 Burton Albion players deliver coaching sessions at Stanton School...
- 15:06 Prison sentence quashed for Sutton Bridge man caught with indecent...
- 15:06 Manhunt launched after 59 burglaries across the region including...
- 15:06 Spen cadets know the drill
- 15:06 We think this teenager may have failed her driving test
- 15:05 Space age lessons delight pupils
- 15:05 Inspector Darren McKie guilty of wife's murder
- 15:05 Premier League big six transfer spend by position: Where has all...
- 15:05 Revealed: What these 6 common stomach pains mean and how to fix...
- 15:04 Prezzo to shut 94 restaurants with 500 jobs axed
- 15:04 Teenage asylum seeker jailed for life over Parsons Green Tube bomb
- 15:04 Bassetlaw woman bought drugs at Christmas then forgot about them