Birmingham City Council Schools chief 'told to go if pregnant'
The councillor in charge of Birmingham's children's services was told she would probably have to step down if she became pregnant - because the council has no maternity policy.
Brigid Jones, cabinet member for education and social services, said she was told a procedure did not exist for someone in her role.
Ms Jones, a councillor since 2011, branded the situation "ridiculous".
Birmingham City Council said it was looking at introducing a policy.
'Dark ages' Ms Jones, who was 26 years old when appointed to the council's cabinet in 2013, said she was thinking about starting a family... read more
- 00:26 Police release 12 more mugshots of fans after Scottish Cup Final...
- 00:22 West Brom: Tony Pulis gives his verdict on Liverpool
- 00:22 Pierluigi Gollini: Aston Villa boss Steve Bruce on the young...
- 00:22 Sam Eggington's epic defeat of Frankie Gavin was a 'super human'...
- 00:21 'Revolutionary' flab-busting treatment endorsed by Kim Kardashian...
- 00:19 QUICK QUIZ: What’s been going on this week?
- 00:15 Police launch inquiry into death of woman ‘refused’ an abortion by...
- 00:12 Thropton WI, Meeting
- 00:11 River Island, New Look and Next: The best coat designs for winter
- 00:11 Debenhams, Oliver Bonas and Jigsaw: The best accessories we want...
- 00:12 Interview: Father of LiFi brings web out of the dark ages
- 00:11 Tesco, Next and Debenhams: The most stylish bread bins
- 00:11 Loaf, Amara and Swoon: Luxurious accessories to create a warm home
- 00:11 Aveda, Bumble and Origins: The best new hair products
- 00:11 Jose Mourinho: Man United vs Man City derby isn't that important
- 00:11 LK Bennett, Debenhams and Matalan: The best mini bag designs for...
- 00:11 Arsenal ace reacts to Mesut Ozil exit rumours: They're a big club -...
- 00:11 Escada, Kurt Geiger and Gap: Traditional tweeds with a twist
- 00:06 There’s something a bit off about these cemetery bushes
- 00:05 New images released as police continue Hampden trouble probe
- 00:05 Sturgeon pledges to use new powers to safeguard disability rights
- 23:59 Euan McColm: Racism bares its teeth at Jungle refugees
- 23:59 Leader: No campaign needs figurehead – just in case
- 23:59 Darling claims Sturgeon is bluffing with indyref2 bid
- 23:46 Northolt armed stand-off enters second night of talks
- 23:40 North Wales football results: October 21-22
- 23:38 Jeff Salway: Why Tories are for turning on annuity sales
- 23:38 Plea for ‘national debate’ on who gets NHS cancer drugs
- 23:36 England paceman Jimmy Anderson ruled out of first three India Tests
- 23:36 I gave up Brad Pitt for a horse! Lucinda Egerton turns back on...