Bird flu: Netherlands culls 190,000 ducks
About 190,000 ducks have been culled in the Netherlands as the authorities try to prevent the spread of bird flu across northern European countries.
The slaughter involved six farms, following the discovery of a virus in the village of Biddinghuizen, some 70km (43 miles) east of Amsterdam.
Outbreaks of the highly contagious H5N8 strain have been reported in Denmark, Sweden, Germany and Finland.
The Dutch authorities have not said which strain is involved.
Officials said they were checking for bird flu at farms within three kilometres of the original site and imposed a ban on transporting... read more
- 08:23 Man City news and transfer rumours LIVE David Silva updates and...
- 08:23 Henrikh Mkhitaryan Manchester United absence explained by Jose...
- 08:23 Man City fans hail David Silva after an incredible performance...
- 08:23 This is when the Met Office weather warning for the West Midlands ENDS
- 08:22 Bodybuilder sexually assaulted girl, 4, then threatened to kill...
- 08:20 Luke Shaw pays tribute to Jose Mourinho after making Premier League...
- 08:19 Sculptures rehomed ahead of top of Leith Walk overhaul
- 08:18 Council moves to ease Berwick’s parking problem
- 08:18 Liverpool to bid for 2022 World Gymnastics Championships
- 08:17 Proposals for new or re-opened railway stations in two Doncaster...
- 08:17 South Yorkshire man jailed for sexually abusing four boys
- 08:17 Police issue warning after hair salon raids in Sheffield
- 08:16 Police helicopter joins Leeds pursuit after cars rammed by vehicle
- 08:15 Leeds news: Whites confirm striker back in training
- 08:15 Newcastle news: Star players Magpies could sign in January after...
- 08:15 Phil Taylor: Darts legends debate whether ‘The Power’ can win final...
- 08:15 Lewis Hamilton: F1 experts explain difference between Mercedes...
- 08:14 Live: Long delays on M1 after crash involving two lorries and a truck
- 08:13 Flamengo 1-1 Independiente (2-3 agg): Argentinian side hold on to...
- 08:13 Barrow man denies driving on A590 without insurance
- 08:13 Harry hits 100 mark for third season in a row
- 08:12 NHS in England told to reveal avoidable deaths data
- 08:12 Gianluigi Donnarumma in tears after being insulted by AC Milan ultras
- 08:11 Devout worshippers flock to see algae that looks a bit like...
- 08:11 Man filmed himself killing 13 cats with blowtorch
- 08:11 Two crashes hit M6 in Cumbria as cold snap continues
- 08:10 Visitor who passed Spice to prisoner at HMP Northumberland joins...
- 08:10 How Greenland would look without its ice sheet
- 08:09 Police helicopter joins Leeds pursuit after cars rammed by vehicle
- 08:09 Jamie Redknapp takes off wedding ring for charity gala as Louise is...