Bird flu: Netherlands culls 190,000 ducks
About 190,000 ducks have been culled in the Netherlands as the authorities try to prevent the spread of bird flu across northern European countries.
The slaughter involved six farms, following the discovery of a virus in the village of Biddinghuizen, some 70km (43 miles) east of Amsterdam.
Outbreaks of the highly contagious H5N8 strain have been reported in Denmark, Sweden, Germany and Finland.
The Dutch authorities have not said which strain is involved.
Officials said they were checking for bird flu at farms within three kilometres of the original site and imposed a ban on transporting... read more
- 13:30 Manchester United great Paul Scholes reacted hilariously to...
- 13:30 Teespring is now selling Eat Sleep Rape Repeat and other...
- 13:30 War veterans to switch on Banbury’s Christmas lights
- 13:30 The number of schoolkids taking term-time holiday has RISEN
- 13:30 VIDEO: Banbury fun fair continues
- 13:30 Lack of EU trade agreement would be catastrophic for jobs, says...
- 13:30 You may know you're dead AFTER you die - according to science
- 13:30 Norovirus sufferers 'should avoid preparing food for two days'
- 13:30 You can now go around the solar system on Google Maps - here's how
- 13:29 What would the total distance be if you added up the depth of every...
- 13:29 Sheffield property that became magnet for trouble closed down
- 13:28 Man Utd, Chelsea and Liverpool stars all nominated for Champions...
- 13:28 Grantham Mayor’s Parlour receives old cake topper
- 13:27 What would the total distance be if you added up the depth of every...
- 13:27 Prescribed goods from NHS cutbacks include gluten-free food and...
- 13:26 What would the total distance be if you added up the depth of every...
- 13:26 Part of Leyes Lane in Kenilworth flooded
- 13:26 New Look’s fad diet shirt was in bad taste, but it’s up to us to...
- 13:26 Hundreds of children to take part in arts project at Chester...
- 13:26 Police investigate robbery at Notts village shop
- 13:25 Sheffield property that became magnet for trouble closed down
- 13:25 Car pictured lodged in fence on notorious South Cumbria road
- 13:25 Antoni Gaudi: Casa Vicens
- 13:25 The Farming Column with Sam Walton
- 13:24 Part of Leyes Lane in Kenilworth flooded
- 13:24 Apprentice-style contest will be all in good cause
- 13:24 Yellow weather warning for wind issued
- 13:23 Garbiel Jesus reveals new tattoo as Manchester City forward shows...
- 13:23 Man arrested after ten-hour killing spree targeting co-workers he...
- 13:21 Gin night to he held at Dog and Partridge pub in Marchington