Bikes and car wheels found at bottom of historic canal before £100,000 restoration work
Rusty bikes, traffic cones and car wheels were discovered at the bottom of a historic canal, which has been drained for £100,000 restoration work.
Works to replace the bottom gates on the Long Eaton Lock, on the Erewash Canal, started on September 19 and are expected to be completed by October 9.
The lock, which was built between 1777 and 1779 at a cost of around £20,000, will be reopened to boats the following day.
Read more: Families line Nottingham's historic Castle Wharf to celebrate city's canals
Members of the public were given the rare opportunity to walk along the drained canal's... read more
- 14:10 When does the paper £5 note go out of circulation? How long you...
- 14:10 Teenager faces jail for 'plotting to bomb Elton John concert in...
- 14:09 It's a pain to get to Spain after blunder
- 14:09 Wall Street set to open higher with earnings in focus
- 14:09 Jenny Powell admits she 'couldn't feel her LEGS' during throes of...
- 14:09 Mountainous challenge for eight fathers
- 14:09 Kremlin says report that Putin will meet Trump in May is 'wishful...
- 14:09 The Keepers: Who killed Sister Cathy? New Netflix documentary...
- 14:09 French riot police clash with youths protesting election
- 14:09 Hackers exploited Word flaw for months while Microsoft investigated
- 14:09 The Pingle School in Swadlincote is to get a share of £45,000...
- 14:08 You won’t believe what Gerard Pique said to this Barcelona player
- 14:08 Hector Bellerin reveals Arsenal's dressing room mood ahead of...
- 14:08 Roman Abramovich meets Antonio Conte at Stamford Bridge… this is why
- 14:06 The staggering number of drivers who believe running a red light is...
- 14:06 Body recovered from river in Leeds is believed to be missing man
- 14:06 This is why Boris Johnson used the word "mugwump" to describe...
- 14:06 Worskop girls sing up for ‘ginormous’ Girlguides choir
- 14:06 How to lower blood pressure: Cutting SALT from your diet could be...
- 14:05 Surprise! This Owl’s long legs could rival any supermodel
- 14:05 N’Golo Kante on shortlist with Antoine Griezmann for best overseas...
- 14:05 Search called off for man missing in River Lune
- 14:05 Airbus £4.6bn China deal helps secure position as global leader
- 14:04 These supercars drove to Nottingham with some very special passengers
- 14:04 Man United prepared to meet mega release clause: This summer...
- 14:04 CCTV APPEAL: Theft from St Annes shop
- 14:03 M&S food store plans
- 14:03 Blaze at cancer research unit
- 14:03 Dedicated scout Ossie earns highest honour
- 14:03 Arsenal defender Laurent Koscielny is an injury worry for north...