Bikes and car wheels found at bottom of historic canal before £100,000 restoration work
Rusty bikes, traffic cones and car wheels were discovered at the bottom of a historic canal, which has been drained for £100,000 restoration work.
Works to replace the bottom gates on the Long Eaton Lock, on the Erewash Canal, started on September 19 and are expected to be completed by October 9.
The lock, which was built between 1777 and 1779 at a cost of around £20,000, will be reopened to boats the following day.
Read more: Families line Nottingham's historic Castle Wharf to celebrate city's canals
Members of the public were given the rare opportunity to walk along the drained canal's... read more
- 00:38 Eurydice Dixon: memorial to murdered comedian vandalised
- 00:38 State of emergency declared in Papua New Guinea after riots
- 00:38 Iván Duque wins election to become Colombia's president
- 00:38 More rail strikes to hit this week
- 00:35 Paramedics across the north west are going on strike today - and...
- 00:31 Join the Great British Bee Count and get ‘buzzing’
- 00:30 Paramedics across the north west are going on strike today - and...
- 00:27 UK makes Windrush Day official with £500k grant to support events
- 00:26 Join the Great British Bee Count and get ‘buzzing’
- 00:26 Sudoku 4089 easy
- 00:18 Brooks Koepka wins back-to-back US Open titles - reactions
- 00:15 Paramedics across the north west are going on strike today - and...
- 00:13 Join the Great British Bee Count and get ‘buzzing’
- 00:12 Pundit challenged over clapping female host's World Cup analysis
- 00:12 Joachim Löw accepts ‘haphazard’ Germany on thin ice after Mexico loss
- 00:12 Paramedics across the north west are going on strike today - and...
- 00:09 Cambridge zoology museum to reopen after £4.1m revamp
- 00:05 Australian firms told to catch up on climate change risk checks
- 00:03 No glory for Saints trio as England lose final against France
- 00:03 Ripley knows Northants are under pressure
- 00:01 BREAKING: World War 3 fears ESCALATE as US BOMB Syrian military...
- 23:48 Arsene Wenger claims N’Golo Kante is ‘one of the most influential’...
- 23:43 This mangled BMW was abandoned after nearly hitting mum and baby...
- 23:39 Rocester 4 - 1 Burton Albion - the verdict: priceless experience...
- 23:29 Gareth Southgate calls on England to transfer energy to world stage
- 23:29 Fuming Love Island viewers brand Adam a 'snake' for eyeing other girl
- 23:18 Celtic star Leigh Griffiths hail hailed by ex-Hoops WAG Lisa Hague...
- 23:02 Edinson Cavani reveals his class reason for wanting Mohamed...
- 22:54 Billy Caldwell: Senior MP urges reform over medical cannabis
- 22:53 Colour me happy! What your paint choice says about you