Bigger share of aid budget for education, say MPs
Education should receive a bigger share of the UK's overseas aid budget, a cross-party report from MPs says.
The International Development Select Committee said education is vital to improving lives in the world's poorest countries.
The proportion of the UK's aid budget spent on education was about 7% in 2015, according to MPs.
Stephen Twigg, who chairs the committee, said more must be done for the "most marginalised children".
The report, examining the Department for International Development's work on education, highlights the lack of access to education in developing countries... read more
- 14:37 Queen’s preview: Novak Djokovic can send out statement of intent...
- 14:36 Seven Hull business stories you may have missed this week
- 14:36 Royal Regiment of Fusiliers Museum looking for help to make...
- 14:34 Naked university rowers suspended from Instagram
- 14:34 West Ham transfer news: SIX players linked to the Hammers after...
- 14:34 CO2 shortage could hit UK beer and chicken supplies during World Cup
- 14:34 Hospital payout for cancer patient's family after 'failures in care'
- 14:34 Middle income households faring best since the crash, report finds
- 14:34 Disney raises offer for 21st Century Fox to $71.3bn and outflanks...
- 14:33 Why there could be a World Cup beer crisis
- 14:33 I don’t want to be upskirted – are there any outfits I should avoid?
- 14:33 Where is cannabis legal around the world and where can you only use...
- 14:32 Summer fair will mark Whitley Bay school’s centenary year
- 14:32 Pals team up for Rushden quiz night in aid of Gambian friend
- 14:32 Whitley Bay pub undergoing a major refurbishment
- 14:32 Watch: Paddy McGuinness, Peter Crouch and Jamie Redknapp pile into...
- 14:32 Bookmakers slashed odds on dramatic Love Island return for Charlie...
- 14:32 Whitefield Aldi given go-ahead to knock down 'community hub' next...
- 14:31 10 Fringe and Festival jobs you can apply for now
- 14:30 Drugged driver had pregnant girlfriend in car during high-speed...
- 14:28 The Yorkshire Post says: Emails at PMQs about North’s ‘valueless’...
- 14:28 Watch: Hundreds stop to watch parrot on the loose in Birmingham...
- 14:27 Millionaire refuses to pull down Britain’s biggest man cave so he’s...
- 14:27 Hospital payout for cancer patient's family after 'failures in care'
- 14:26 University of Hull and VISR launch mixed reality accelerator
- 14:26 Playhouse revamp cost to rise by £2m
- 14:24 Road to shut for up to four weeks
- 14:23 Woman accused of curfew breaches
- 14:21 Fire crew called to Workington blaze
- 14:21 Prison governor hospitalised after 'unprovoked inmate attack' at...