Big up Birmingham like Usain Bolt urges 2026 Commonwealth Games bid chief
The people of Birmingham were today urged not to be shy and self-effacing but “big up” the city and get behind its Commonwealth Games bid - just like sprinter Usain Bolt did in 2012.
Birmingham’s Labour deputy leader Ian Ward said the enthusiastic support of sports and business communities as well as the backing of ordinary Brummies was essential if the bid was to succeed.
He was outlining the city’s pitch to host the 2026 Commonwealth Games bid at a ‘Greater Birmingham for Greater Britain’ fringe event which was also attended by Prime Minister Theresa May.
Coun Ward, who is fronting the... read more
- 20:17 Alcoholic vicar stole £100,000 in funeral fees from church and blew...
- 20:17 Wall Street falls as doubts mount about Trump healthcare bill
- 20:17 More than 200 migrants feared drowned in Mediterranean
- 20:15 Manchester United on brink of completing Antoine Griezmann transfer...
- 20:15 Antoine Griezmann to Manchester United transfer on verge of completion
- 20:13 Snooker stars return to Ricoh for Champion of Champions tournament
- 20:12 Wales gearing up for pivotal World Cup qualifier in Dublin
- 20:12 Alexis Sanchez determined to leave Arsenal, Mesut Ozil offered this...
- 20:12 Chelsea striker's agent asked about client's future: Doesn't rule...
- 20:10 Gareth Bale 'must not hold anything back' against Republic of...
- 20:09 Firefighters called to three car fires across Lincolnshire
- 20:09 Swiss National Bank committed to expansive policy
- 20:07 Mother and son team lacing on gloves for boxing matches
- 20:05 UPDATE: Police are investigating TWO 'incidents' at Birches Head...
- 20:05 Town sign former Southampton defender Thomas on loan from...
- 20:04 Moira Anderson search: No remains found in canal
- 20:03 Major operation underway in Moray after 'suspicious substance'...
- 20:03 Retail Quarter jobs boom
- 20:03 Appeal to trace South Yorkshire owner of stolen rose gold iPhone 6
- 20:02 Manchester United closing in on Antoine Griezmann: Jose Mourinho...
- 20:01 EU regulators to clear Dow and ChemChina deals next week - sources
- 19:58 US healthcare bill: Blow for Trump as House vote delayed
- 19:57 Doctor Who: Peter Capaldi reveals REAL reason he quit BBC show
- 19:57 Sport Illustrated model fell asleep during the 12 hours it took to...
- 19:57 Hollyoaks spoilers: The identity of Leela Lomax’s stalker is revealed
- 19:56 Ackman's Pershing Square Holdings seeks London listing
- 19:55 Hillsborough campaigner Margaret Aspinall receives long-term...
- 19:54 Have your say on developing health services in Lincolnshire
- 19:54 Westminster attack: ‘The business of Parliament has not been...
- 19:52 Wall Street wavers as Trump faces key healthcare vote