Bialowieza forest: EU threatens Poland with fine over logging
Europe's top court has given Poland 15 days to prove it has complied with a court order to stop logging in Europe's oldest forest or face fines of €100,000 ($118,000; £89,000) a day.
The European Court of Justice said it was taking action to avoid serious and irreparable damage to the Bialowieza forest, a Unesco World Heritage site.
Poland has not yet commented.
In a controversial decision last year, it approved a threefold increase in logging to combat spruce bark beetle.
The European Commission, which is taking legal action against Poland, has said the logging threatens the habitat of... read more
- 06:59 Government decides to keep 1p and 2p coins after one-day consultation
- 06:59 Investigation after man defecates on floor at Preston train station
- 06:59 Morrisons creates £10 meat box it says will feed your family for a...
- 06:59 Many men are sexually harassed in the workplace – so why aren’t...
- 06:59 Five Derbyshire roads closed after heavy snow
- 06:58 Leader comment: Law to oust errant MSPs carries serious risks
- 06:58 Tories bid to outflank SNP in post-Brexit powers row with ‘Union...
- 06:57 Government decides to keep 1p and 2p coins after one-day consultation
- 06:55 Village pub saved after locals raise £1,000,000 to buy it back...
- 06:54 Newcastle United’s last stand in the Champions League - against...
- 06:54 Revealed: The staggering number of drivers caught speeding through...
- 06:54 Tax-dodging businessman spent thousands of pounds on football games...
- 06:52 Russia election video shows officials allegedly filling ballot boxes
- 06:49 Morrisons creates £10 meat box it says will feed your family for a...
- 06:49 Many men are sexually harassed in the workplace – so why aren’t...
- 06:48 Five Derbyshire roads closed after heavy snow
- 06:47 Five Derbyshire roads closed after heavy snow
- 06:47 Man Utd ace Nemanja Matic reveals one reason why working with Jose...
- 06:45 Final straw: Post campaign to ditch single use plastics
- 06:46 Careers service’s link with school is bearing fruit
- 06:45 Ant McPartlin 'arrested on suspicion of drink-driving'
- 06:45 Empire Awards: Steven Spielberg says Time's Up is a "watershed moment"
- 06:44 Morrisons creates £10 meat box it says will feed your family for a...
- 06:44 Many men are sexually harassed in the workplace – so why aren’t...
- 06:43 Five Derbyshire roads closed after heavy snow
- 06:42 Peele pupils hear of Holocaust horror from survivor
- 06:39 Young Hartlepool mum on road to recovery after suffering massive...
- 06:39 Hartlepool council writes off £170,000 in unpaid tax debts
- 06:39 £1.25m due to be spent improving Hartlepool’s crumbling roads
- 06:39 Hartlepool and EastDurham groups recognised at awards ceremony