Biafra shutdown cripples Nigerian cities
A stay-at-home protest by Biafran separatists in Nigeria has crippled cities and towns in the south-east.
Streets are empty and markets, banks and schools are closed to mark the abortive attempt in 1967 to gain independence for the region.
It led to a bitter three-year civil war in which more than one million people were killed.
The authorities have warned the secessionists against street protests and security forces are on patrol.
BBC Africa Live: More on this and other stories The man behind Nigeria's separatists Should regions get more power? South-eastern Nigeria is mainly inhabited by... read more
- 08:51 ‘Young people need to learn to speak out about problems’
- 08:50 Garrick theatre aims to give Lichfield movie fans their film fix...
- 08:50 Football transfer rumours: Ronaldo to Manchester United? Again?
- 08:50 Ray turns out to play rugby league at 67 and backs our Doncaster...
- 08:49 Missing Sheffield man found
- 08:49 The crime matters column with Superintendent Paula Booth
- 08:49 How did some of cinema's greatest films end up in an Iowa shed?
- 08:47 Arsenal in transfer battle with AC Milan and Marseille for Mexico...
- 08:47 Sunderland councillor in bookies odds to become next Liberal...
- 08:46 ‘Young people need to learn to speak out about problems’
- 08:46 'I hid baby's body in rucksack in wardrobe for 14 years', mum tells...
- 08:43 Ray turns out to play rugby league at 67 and backs our Doncaster...
- 08:42 Lucy hoping her message will ring out
- 08:42 Leyland nurse's plea after M65 crash leaves motorcyclist seriously...
- 08:42 Schools need time to prepare learners for the real world
- 08:42 Star Wars craft lands in Leeds family’s back garden
- 08:41 Schools need time to prepare learners for the real world
- 08:41 Students bring Oklahoma to The Spa
- 08:37 NHS Borders reduces its agency staff costs
- 08:37 Dundee looking for a ‘few more pieces of the puzzle’
- 08:37 School sees red over boys’antic
- 08:35 Gossip: Liverpool linked with Lazio keeper?
- 08:35 Now THAT'S a man cave! Inside the 65ft-deep underground world dug...
- 08:34 Foundry Wood to celebrate fifth birthday
- 08:33 Bitcoin price LIVE: BTC tumbles 'nothing preventing $2500 from...
- 08:31 Lincolnshire police chief reveals force ignored rural crime as it...
- 08:30 Hospital where hundreds died after being given strong painkillers...
- 08:29 Deported Lancaster man to be returned to UK after appeal success
- 08:29 Creativity is key to success for UCLan ‘15’
- 08:27 Man, 22, charged with murdering US rapper XXXTentacion