Benefits cheat city councillor must step down, says his Labour city council boss
A Labour Carlisle city councillor convicted of benefits fraud has been asked to resign by his most senior political colleague.
Barrie Osgood, 44, who tried to blame depression and anxiety for his crime, denied fraudulently claiming £3,500 in housing benefit but he was convicted after a four hour trial at the city's magistrates' court.
The court heard how his claim – which was handled by the local authority which he was elected to serve – failed to declare that he owned and rented out a property he owned in Currock.
He is due to be sentenced today. Conservative politicians in the city have... read more
- 13:32 Italian police arrest pro-Islamic State trio over suspected Venice...
- 13:32 Netanyahu set to approve first West Bank settlement for 20 years
- 13:32 Syrian rebels seize swathes of south as Islamic State retreats
- 13:32 ‘Super-fit’ gran develops life-threatening diabetes through love of...
- 13:32 Statins breakthrough: Cholesterol-lowering drugs 'could combat deep...
- 13:32 We need your nominations
- 13:32 Harry Potter festival plans 'blown out the water'
- 13:31 Coventry City twin backing brother Dion to help bring back the...
- 13:31 Neil Taylor facing extended ban after horror tackle on Seamus Coleman
- 13:31 Sing to the Swing
- 13:29 Win A Wedding: The Venue
- 13:29 Former Aston Villa midfielder Nobby Solano delighted after beating...
- 13:28 Stormzy is playing in Leicester next week – here's how you can get...
- 13:26 Chelsea attempted to sign Neymar by convincing him he could be...
- 13:26 Saving the Venezuelan Amazon: mega-nature reserve? Or mega-mining...
- 13:26 We need your nominations
- 13:26 Eden Hazard has major worry: This will affect Real Madrid move
- 13:25 SpaceX to launch first reused rocket, testing cost-cutting model
- 13:24 Woman arrested for being drunk and disorderly twice in two weeks
- 13:24 Nottingham Poetry Festival 2017 - all you need to know
- 13:23 A marathon challenge to raise cash for Hartlepool hospice
- 13:23 Music a mystery to apes left baffled by Bieber and Beethoven
- 13:22 Referee speaks out following attack
- 13:22 Sing to the Swing
- 13:22 School governor jailed after being caught with 4,000 indecent...
- 13:21 Brexit: What is the great repeal bill?
- 13:21 Northants add Taylor and Sales to coaching staff
- 13:21 Rolls-Royce unveils nine Wraiths 'Inspired by British Music'
- 13:21 Choose crafts over chocolate this Easter and help youngsters at...
- 13:21 'I'll bury you': shocking footage shows bitter feud between Scouser...