Benefits cheat city councillor must step down, says his Labour city council boss
A Labour Carlisle city councillor convicted of benefits fraud has been asked to resign by his most senior political colleague.
Barrie Osgood, 44, who tried to blame depression and anxiety for his crime, denied fraudulently claiming £3,500 in housing benefit but he was convicted after a four hour trial at the city's magistrates' court.
The court heard how his claim – which was handled by the local authority which he was elected to serve – failed to declare that he owned and rented out a property he owned in Currock.
He is due to be sentenced today. Conservative politicians in the city have... read more
- 16:39 EDF says will work fast to restart reactors after watchdog's...
- 16:39 Passenger buses in Leicester had to be diverted - because of parked...
- 16:36 Hughie Fury reveals February fight date with WBC heavyweight...
- 16:35 Police hunt driver of car who flees crash at Wortley Hotel
- 16:34 Stunning images taken by Lincolnshire Live followers
- 16:32 Supermarket recalls steak over allergy fears
- 16:30 Burnley Council director leaves post
- 16:28 WEATHER WARNING: Severe fog
- 16:27 Leicester woman's AMAZING transformation after losing more than...
- 16:26 Scouts deliver Christmas greetings
- 16:25 FINRA fines Credit Suisse over anti-money laundering policies
- 16:25 Council cautious on Marks and Spencer return to Morecambe
- 16:24 Gambia court frees prominent lawyer, 18 others jailed for protest
- 16:23 Last day to pledge! £84,000 raised so far for world’s first David...
- 16:23 Supermarket recalls steak over allergy fears
- 16:23 Father releases heartbreaking picture of son wiped out...
- 16:22 When Nottingham Forest legend Brian Clough played for Burton Albion...
- 16:22 Crowds flock to Clitheroe Christmas Festival
- 16:21 Supermarket recalls steak over allergy fears
- 16:21 Government urges Supreme Court to overturn Brexit ruling
- 16:21 List of 37 most virulent viruses drawn up
- 16:21 Appeal to reunite owner with Maudes Jewellers gift
- 16:21 Preston-based Lantei Compliance Services expands its team
- 16:20 Carlisle 'cash for crash' mastermind back in the dock - for...
- 16:20 Fiver campaigner seeks Bank of England meeting
- 16:19 Olympic stars among those handed honorary degrees
- 16:18 Fashion giant TK Maxx reveals opening date for new Longton store
- 16:18 Met Office issue Yellow weather warning for freezing fog over...
- 16:18 Bodies of young man and woman discovered slumped in car following...
- 16:17 Morecambe Arndale Centre’s Argos store to close